Charge to mass ratio of an electron shot through a cathode-ray oscilloscope

In summary: I got in seconds! In summary, the electron is traveling with a constant horizontal velocity, and it travels a distance of (L+d) in time t, or .5at^2. It is accelerated in the y direction, so h = vyt + 1/2at^2.
jordanl122
I've been working on this problem for awhile but I just can't seem to hack it. (This is problem 76 from Serway 3rd for the first electricity chapter if you happen to have that book and want a visualization)
Given: an electron with charge, -e, and mass, m, is projected with speed v, at a right angle to a uniform electric field that is flowing in the negative y direction. The oscilloscope has length d, and after the particle exits the field it travels a length, L, and smacks a screen. It was displaced in the positive y direction to a height of h when it has hit the screen. Assuming d is much less than L in magnitude, and ignoring gravity, show the charge-to-mass ratio is given by:
e/m = hv^2/(ELd)

First, I set Ee = ma and divide through to get e/m = a/E

Solving for a in terms of L, d, and h, I know the electron is traveling with constant horizontal velocity, and it travels a distance of (L + d) in time t, or

v = (L+d)/t so t = (L+d)/v

I also know that it is accelerating in the y direction, so

h = vyt + 1/2at^2 (there is no initial y component to the velocity so...)

h = .5at^2

plugging in for t and solving for a I get...

2h/(L+d)^2/v^2 = a which simplifies to 2hv^2/(L^2+2dL+d^2) = a

I then plug it into the original ratio equation

e/m = 2hv^2/(E(L^2+2dL+d^2) which assuming d is much less than L,

e/m = 2hv^2/(E(L^2 +2dL) which is close but not the answer

If anyone can help me I would be greatly appreciative. I know I have probably made a stupid mistake somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't find it. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that the electron is only accelerated during its travel across d, not d + L.

Try this: Find the impulse given to the electron, then the change in its vertical speed. Then use that to find the angle the electron is traveling when it leaves the field. (Ignore the change in height during the acceleration; assume the electron starts its straight line journey at y = 0.)

thanks

Thank you so much, I was killing myself over this problem

1. What is the charge to mass ratio of an electron?

The charge to mass ratio of an electron is approximately 1.76 x 10^11 coulombs per kilogram (C/kg). This value represents the ratio of an electron's charge to its mass, and it is a fundamental constant in physics.

2. How is the charge to mass ratio of an electron measured?

The charge to mass ratio of an electron can be measured using a cathode-ray oscilloscope. This device uses an electric field to deflect the path of an electron beam, and by varying the strength of the field, the charge to mass ratio can be determined.

3. What is the significance of the charge to mass ratio of an electron?

The charge to mass ratio of an electron is significant because it is a fundamental constant in physics, and it has implications in many areas of science, including electromagnetism and atomic structure. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as cathode-ray tubes and particle accelerators.

4. How does the charge to mass ratio of an electron change in different environments?

The charge to mass ratio of an electron remains constant in a vacuum. However, in other environments, such as in air or in a material, the presence of other particles and molecules can affect the motion of the electron and thus alter its charge to mass ratio.

5. Can the charge to mass ratio of an electron be negative?

No, the charge to mass ratio of an electron is always positive. This is because an electron has a negative charge and a nonzero mass, resulting in a positive value for the ratio. In some cases, the ratio may be expressed as a negative value due to the direction of the electron's motion, but the actual value is always positive.