Mechanical Engineering Major. Good idea to double major in Applied Math?

In summary, the individual is considering either minoring or double majoring in Physics or Mathematics alongside their current major in Mechanical Engineering. They are unsure of which option would be most beneficial in terms of employment opportunities and time commitment. The suggestion is made to consider pursuing a graduate degree in a field such as applied mathematics instead, as it may be more useful in the long run.
thepatient
I'm having a bit of a dilemna. I'm currently a senior in Mechanical Engineering and will finish in about 1.5 years. I always feel that ME alone might not be as useful and wish to expand my knowledge in Physics or Mathematics. I'm equally passionate of both, and have thought about minoring in one of the two. A minor wouldn't be as useful as an actual major though, as it is only a brief overview of the major.

So I've been considering double majoring. A BS in Physics I wouldn't want to get, since it would extend my studying another 2 years. A BA in Physics would be 1 year, but isn't quite the same as a BA and might not have as much employment opportunities with a BA. My other option is a BS in applied math with concentration in science and engineering. This would also push back my studies about a year, and I feel it might allow for more opportunities for a job after graduating.

What are your thoughts. Is a double major in ME and Applied math a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its fine to get a double major if that is what you want to do. However, some questions arise do you intend to go to graduate school? If so I think it might be more beneficial to just finish your current degree and perhaps get a graduate degree in a field such as applied mathematics or related.

Given most masters degree programs are only 2 years, if you continued education immediately, you'd be halfway done with a graduate degree. This seems much more useful in my mind. Most employers are more likely to look at the highest level of education achieved, anything else is a bonus.

1. What is a Mechanical Engineering major?

A Mechanical Engineering major is an academic program that focuses on the design, development, and analysis of mechanical systems and processes. It combines principles from physics, mathematics, and materials science to understand and create solutions to problems related to mechanical systems.

2. What career opportunities are available for Mechanical Engineering majors?

Mechanical Engineering majors have a wide range of career options, including roles in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and robotics. Some common job titles for graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering include mechanical engineer, design engineer, project manager, and research and development engineer.

3. What is the benefit of double majoring in Applied Math with a Mechanical Engineering major?

Double majoring in Applied Math with a Mechanical Engineering major can provide a strong foundation in both theoretical and practical aspects of engineering. Applied Math courses can enhance problem-solving skills and provide a deeper understanding of mathematical principles that can be applied to mechanical systems. This combination can make graduates more competitive and versatile in the job market.

4. Is it common for students to double major in Applied Math and Mechanical Engineering?

It is not uncommon for students to double major in Applied Math and Mechanical Engineering, as these two fields have a significant overlap and can complement each other well. However, it may require careful planning and time management to complete both majors within a typical four-year undergraduate program.

5. What skills and qualities are necessary for success in a Mechanical Engineering major?

Some essential skills and qualities for success in a Mechanical Engineering major include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematics and science, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team. Good communication and time management skills are also important for completing projects and meeting deadlines.