Do white blood cells increase or decrease in leukaemia?

In summary, leukaemia is a condition in which immature white blood cells increase, leading to a decrease in mature white blood cells. This can result in neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, and leucocytopenia. However, the severity and specific effects may vary depending on the subtype of leukemia, such as an increase in B lymphocytes. Overall, this condition can lead to abnormal functioning of white blood cells and a decrease in other cell lines.
sameeralord
In leukaemia since immature white blood cells increase, do they overcrowd and decrease mature white blood cells. So does neutropenia and thrombocytopenia, leucocytopenia occur in leukaemia. Or does this deped on subtypes eg in some leukaemia B lymphocytes increase. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe the production increases but the white blood cells are abnormal and don't function properly.

lol good question but i think it varies seriously. You have 4 types of leukemia, and 2 of them have a bunch different sub kinds. Correct me if I am wrong. The other cell lines will definitely drop though, you get major anemia and thrombocytopenia.

1. What is leukaemia?

Leukaemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow. It is characterized by the rapid production of abnormal white blood cells, which crowd out healthy blood cells in the bone marrow.

2. Do white blood cells increase or decrease in leukaemia?

In most cases of leukaemia, white blood cells increase and outnumber red blood cells and platelets. However, in some rare types of leukaemia, white blood cells may decrease.

3. What causes an increase in white blood cells in leukaemia?

The increase in white blood cells in leukaemia is caused by the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the bone marrow. These cells do not function properly and do not die like normal cells, leading to an accumulation of white blood cells.

4. What are the symptoms of leukaemia?

The symptoms of leukaemia can vary depending on the type and stage of the disease. Some common symptoms include fatigue, bruising or bleeding easily, frequent infections, weight loss, and enlarged lymph nodes.

5. How is leukaemia diagnosed?

Leukaemia is typically diagnosed through a combination of blood tests, bone marrow biopsy, and imaging tests. These tests can help determine the type and stage of the disease, as well as guide treatment options.