Force measurement system - relating output voltage to Force - strain gauges

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of finding the relation between voltage output and force in a cantilever beam experiment. The equations for bending moment and stress on the top surface of the beam are mentioned, along with the attempt at finding the force using 3EI/L^3. The importance of the change in length and cross-sectional area of the beam is emphasized, and the possibility of finding the value of K using another constant is suggested. Further clarification and assistance are offered to the individual.
mh1985

Homework Statement

I'm struggling with this, I have series of data for the deflection of a cantilever beam and the corresponding output voltages from a strain gauge, wheatstone bridge and amplifier circuit.

I'm trying to find the relation between voltage output and force, i.e. Force = K x voltage (K = constant) but I don't have the force.

Homework Equations

Also I've been given the equation for

Bending moment M = F * Length at gauge

Stress on top surface of beam σ= d/2 * M/1

Output voltage = R2/R* Vs* Kg *ε

Where Kg = gauge factor

The Attempt at a Solution

I think Force can be found from 3EId /L^3 , where d = deflection, E= youngs modulus, I = 2nd moment of area. But still think I'm missing something.

I've already found another constant for output voltage = K x deflection, if that is relevant.

Using 3EI/L^3, I get 5171.3 which can then be multiplied by deflection to give the Force - not sure if this is correct?

Hoping someone has done a similar experiment before and can help in some way please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track in your attempt at finding the relation between voltage output and force. The equation you have for bending moment and stress on the top surface of the beam is correct. However, I would like to clarify a few things that may help you in your solution.

Firstly, the equation for bending moment should be M = F * Length at gauge * (1/2 - d/L), where d is the deflection and L is the length of the beam. This takes into account the change in length of the beam due to the deflection.

Secondly, the equation for stress on the top surface of the beam should be σ = d * M / (2 * I), where I is the moment of inertia of the beam. This takes into account the cross-sectional area of the beam.

Now, coming to your attempt at finding the force using 3EI/L^3, this equation is correct, but the value you have calculated (5171.3) seems a bit high. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for all the variables.

Additionally, you mentioned that you have found another constant for output voltage = K x deflection. This is relevant as it can help you in determining the value of K. You can use this constant and the equation for output voltage to find the value of K, which can then be used in the equation for force.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the equations, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your experiment!

1. How does a force measurement system work?

A force measurement system uses strain gauges to measure the deformation of a material under applied force. The strain gauges are connected to a Wheatstone bridge, which produces an output voltage proportional to the applied force. This voltage can then be calibrated to determine the exact force being applied.

2. What is the relationship between output voltage and force in a force measurement system?

The relationship between output voltage and force is determined by the sensitivity of the strain gauges and the calibration of the system. Generally, as the force increases, the output voltage will also increase proportionally.

3. How do strain gauges work in a force measurement system?

Strain gauges are thin strips of conductive material that are attached to the surface of a material. As the material is deformed under force, the strain gauges also experience a change in shape, causing a change in their resistance. This change in resistance is then measured and used to calculate the applied force.

4. Can a force measurement system be used to measure both compression and tension forces?

Yes, a force measurement system can be used to measure both compression and tension forces. The strain gauges are designed to measure the deformation of a material in any direction, allowing for accurate measurement of both types of forces.

5. How accurate are force measurement systems?

The accuracy of a force measurement system depends on several factors, including the quality of the strain gauges, the calibration of the system, and the consistency of the applied force. Generally, force measurement systems can achieve accuracies within 1-2% of the actual force being applied.