Solving q = 4t³ + 5t² - 6 for t = 1s - Instantaneous Current

• Thread starter abot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the problem involves finding the instantaneous current through a surface area at a specific time (t=1s). The equation for the quantity of charge that has passed through the surface area varies with time and is given by q=4t^3+5t+6. To find the instantaneous current, the equation I=dq(t)/dt must be used, where q(t) is the given equation for charge. By differentiating the equation and evaluating it at t=1s, the answer of 17 is obtained.
abot
the problem reads th quantity of charge q that has passed through a surface area of 2.00cm^2 varies with time accoding to the equation
q=4t^3+5t=6 where t is in seconds. what is the instantenaus current through the surface at t=1s?

What I did was plug in 1 in the equation and got 15 as an answer, then to get current (I) i did I= q/t so that gave me 15 the answer in the book is 17. how did they get this?

thanks in adavance

Physics news on Phys.org
No,no,u need to differentiate first and then evaluate the new function (the electric current) at the moment t=1s...

Daniel.

Exactly...you evaluated the average current over one second, by dividing the total charge that had passed by by the total time that had elapsed. This is not what the question was asking for. It asked for instantaneous current, which is defined as the time rate of change (time derivative) of the electric charge passing by a point (or in this case, passing through that surface area).

I = dq/dt, where q is of course a function of time q(t), and so I = dq(t) / dt, to write things out in full.

q(t) has been given to you.

1. What is the equation being solved?

The equation being solved is q = 4t³ + 5t² - 6 for t = 1s - Instantaneous Current. This is a mathematical equation used in physics to calculate the instantaneous current at a given time in a circuit.

2. What does q represent in the equation?

In this equation, q represents the electric charge at a specific time. It is measured in coulombs (C).

3. What is the significance of t = 1s in the equation?

The value of t = 1s represents the specific time for which the instantaneous current is being calculated. In this equation, t = 1s indicates that the current is being measured at 1 second after the start of the circuit.

4. How is the equation used in real-life applications?

The equation q = 4t³ + 5t² - 6 for t = 1s - Instantaneous Current is used in real-life applications to calculate the instantaneous current in electric circuits. It is an important tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of electric currents in various systems.

5. What are the units of the final answer?

The final answer of this equation will have units of amps (A), as it represents the instantaneous current at a specific time in a circuit.