Calculating Drag Force and Spin for a Ping Pong Ball Launcher

In summary: Bath University. These include calculating the drag force on the ball as it moves through the air, taking into account the ball's spin, and determining if there is a standard integral for calculating drag at different velocities. It seems that the ball will likely blow back out of the tube with a dynamic pressure of 6 bar. However, it is not clear how these calculations can be done with the given information.
chris_tams
Hi there. I'm at bath uni. Our group is building a ping pong ball launcher. Here are some issues we encountered.

If the ball is to drop vertically into a 40mm tube with air flowing at 6bar(does this mean anything?) will it drop in or will it blow back out.

Also I'm not to sure how to calculate the drag force on the TT ball through the air. I need to calculate its range and trajectory. Obviously this will change when spinning. Is it possible to take spinning into account on paper?

Is there a standard integral i need to calculate the drag at each velocity?

Any help will do.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
chris_tams said:
Hi there. I'm at bath uni. Our group is building a ping pong ball launcher. Here are some issues we encountered.

If the ball is to drop vertically into a 40mm tube with air flowing at 6bar(does this mean anything?) will it drop in or will it blow back out.

Also I'm not to sure how to calculate the drag force on the TT ball through the air. I need to calculate its range and trajectory. Obviously this will change when spinning. Is it possible to take spinning into account on paper?

Is there a standard integral i need to calculate the drag at each velocity?
A dynamic pressure of 6 bar is huge so I have no doubt the ping pong ball will blow back out. I think you could blow through the tube and blow the ball out. I don't see how you could calculate it on the information provided.

AM

for reaching out. It sounds like you and your group are working on an interesting project. To answer your first question, if the air pressure is at 6bar, it is likely that the ping pong ball will be blown back out of the 40mm tube. The pressure is high enough to create a force that is stronger than the force of gravity pulling the ball down. To prevent this, you may need to adjust the pressure or the size of the tube to create a balance between the two forces.

To calculate the drag force on the ping pong ball, you can use the drag equation: Fd = 0.5 * Cd * ρ * V^2 * A, where Fd is the drag force, Cd is the drag coefficient, ρ is the density of air, V is the velocity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the ball. The drag coefficient can vary depending on the shape and surface of the ball, but for a smooth sphere, it is typically around 0.47. You can use this equation to calculate the drag force at different velocities and then integrate it to find the total drag force on the ball. To take into account the spinning of the ball, you can use the Magnus effect, which is the force that is created when a spinning object moves through a fluid. This can be a bit more complex to calculate, but there are resources available online that can help you with the equations and calculations.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a Ping Pong ball launcher?

A Ping Pong ball launcher is a device that is used to propel Ping Pong balls across a playing surface, such as a table, in a controlled and consistent manner.

2. How does a Ping Pong ball launcher work?

A Ping Pong ball launcher typically uses a spring-loaded mechanism to launch the ball, similar to a slingshot. The user pulls back on a lever to compress the spring, which then releases to propel the ball forward.

3. What are the benefits of using a Ping Pong ball launcher?

Using a Ping Pong ball launcher can improve the precision and consistency of shots, allowing players to practice and improve their skills. It can also be used for training and drills, as well as for fun games and challenges.

4. Are there different types of Ping Pong ball launchers?

Yes, there are various types of Ping Pong ball launchers available, including manual launchers, battery-powered launchers, and even robotic launchers that can control the direction and speed of the ball.

5. Is a Ping Pong ball launcher suitable for all skill levels?

Yes, Ping Pong ball launchers can be used by players of all skill levels, from beginners to advanced players. It can be adjusted to different settings and speeds, making it suitable for various training and gameplay purposes.