Prove irrational numbers

In summary: You assume that sqrt(15) = \frac{a}{b} for some integers "a" and "b", then follow the same steps as in the proof for sqrt(5), but end up with the LHS having prime factor "3" to an even power while the RHS has prime factor "3" to an odd power, leading to a contradiction. Therefore, sqrt(15) must also be irrational. The same logic applies for sqrt(3), which can also be proven to be irrational through contradiction.
Millie
we can prove that √5 is irrational through contradiction and same applies for √3.
but can we prove that √5 + √3 is irrational by contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show that if [tex]\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is rational, then so must [tex]\sqrt{5}-\sqrt{3}[/tex] be rational.
Derive that, hence, [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] is rational, a contradiction.

? Are you saying that if x+ y is rational then x- y must be rational? What if [itex]x= \sqrt{5}[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{5}[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
? Are you saying that if x+ y is rational then x- y must be rational? What if [itex]x= \sqrt{5}[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{5}[/itex]?
Not at all, but:
Let [tex]\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{3}=p[/tex] where p is rational.
We therefore have:
[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}-\sqrt{3}}=p[/tex], that is:
[tex]\sqrt{5}-\sqrt{3}=m[/tex], m=2/p rational.

That is, since the difference of squares of [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is rational, and [tex]\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{3},\sqrt{5}-\sqrt{3}\neq{0}[/tex] my argument holds.

Last edited:
Is it possible for two irrational numbers to be added together to get a rational number?

Jeff Ford said:
Is it possible for two irrational numbers to be added together to get a rational number?

I don't know about that, but if you divide pi by phi you get a rational (they share a common irrational factor).

Jeff Ford said:
Definitely, HallsofIvy gave an example of that.

Last edited:
apmcavoy said:
I don't know about that, but if you divide pi by phi you get a rational (they share a common irrational factor).
And what might that be ?

Gokul43201 said:
And what might that be ?

I mean phi2.

http://members.ispwest.com/r-logan/fullbook.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The most algorithmic approach I know for these types of problems is to find an integer polynomial with your algebraic number as a root...

apmcavoy said:

apmcavoy said:
I mean phi2.

http://members.ispwest.com/r-logan/fullbook.html

Are you saying that [tex]\frac{\pi}{\phi^2}\in\mathbb{Q}[/tex]?

Since [tex]\phi=\frac{1+\sqrt5}{2}[/tex] is algebraic and algebraic numbers are closed under multiplication and division, that would mean that pi is algebraic (all rationals are algebraic). The paper you link to, though, admits that "[tex]\pi[/tex] is a transcendental number" and that trancendentals aren't algebraic (by definition).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Ford said:

yes, as has been shown, but more gnerally (I can't recall where i first read this wordy description) but if you are trying to decide if two nasties can make a nice then try thinking if a nice minus a nasty can be nasty. here, obviously the rational minus irrational must be irrational, so anything like

1-sqrt(2) and sqrt(2) add together to give what you want.

the same works for continuous and discontinuous functions, invertible and uninvertible matrices, rational and irrational numbers, algebraic and transcendental numbers and so on.

I looked at the paper referred to above. There are no proofs at all. The author refers to φ2 as a "composite" number with no explanation of what "composite" is supposed to mean for a non-integer number. All he does is show that 15 decimal place computations come out the same, then spends the rest of the paper defining "fraction", "rational", "irrational", etc.

proof: if n is rational and m is irrational set [tex]n + m = l[/tex] is rational then [tex]l + (-n) = m[/tex] is rational, a contradiction

HallsofIvy said:
I looked at the paper referred to above. There are no proofs at all. The author refers to φ2 as a "composite" number with no explanation of what "composite" is supposed to mean for a non-integer number. All he does is show that 15 decimal place computations come out the same, then spends the rest of the paper defining "fraction", "rational", "irrational", etc.

Yes, that was what most bothered me. Normally there's a certain semblance of internal consistency in these pseudoproofs, but this one just didn't define enough to come to a contradiction that I was patient enough to find.

Millie said:
we can prove that √5 is irrational through contradiction and same applies for √3.

You could also argue by contradiction that if
[tex] \sqrt5 + \sqrt3[/tex] is rational then so must [tex](\sqrt5 + \sqrt3)^2[/tex] and something bad will happen.

Last edited:
Millie said:

show me how by contradiction

Siyabonga said:

Assume [itex]\sqrt{5} = \frac{a}{b}[/itex] for some integers "a" and "b".

Then

[tex]a^2 = 5 b^2[/tex]

The LHS of the above equation has prime factor "5" to an even power while the RHS has prime factor "5" to an odd power. This is an obvious contradiction.

Siyabonga said:
The contradiction arises when you try to proof that sqrt(15) is rational.

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. This means that it cannot be written in the form a/b, where a and b are both integers.

2. How can you prove that a number is irrational?

There are various methods for proving that a number is irrational. One common method is to assume that the number is rational and then use proof by contradiction to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This proves that the number cannot be rational and therefore must be irrational.

3. Can all irrational numbers be proved?

No, not all irrational numbers can be proved. There are some irrational numbers, such as pi and e, that are considered to be "unprovable" because they cannot be expressed as an exact value or a repeating decimal. However, we can still use mathematical methods to approximate these numbers to any desired degree of accuracy.

4. Are irrational numbers important in mathematics?

Yes, irrational numbers are very important in mathematics. They are used to solve problems in geometry, trigonometry, and other branches of mathematics. They also have important applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

5. How are irrational numbers different from rational numbers?

Irrational numbers and rational numbers are different in that irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, while rational numbers can. Additionally, irrational numbers have decimal expansions that neither terminate nor repeat, while rational numbers have decimal expansions that either terminate or repeat.