7.6 magnitude earthquake early this morning in Pakistan

In summary: My family is all safe and sound, thankfully. However, I am really upset about the earthquake and all the death and destruction it has caused. My thoughts are with the people who have lost loved ones.
cefarix
There was a 7.6 magnitude earthquake early this morning in Pakistan. I was getting ready to sleep, around 9 am, when it hit Lahore...See, we were sleeping in the common room which has AC (our individual rooms don't have AC)...It was me, my roomie, and 3 other people sleeping there. We were sleeping on mattresses put on the ground, and I had put my mattress right next to my roomie's. All of a sudden, it seems like the bed is shaking cause my roomie is shaking his leg. Then I think, "Wait, I'm not on a bed!" And I jolt upright confused, at first think I think maybe I'm dizzy. Then I see that the whole room is moving to and fro...like swaying in a light breeze, about 2 or 3 inches. By that time my roomie and the other guys sleeping there had also woken up. And my roomie was sort of confused, and I told him, "Dude, it's an earthquake." Anyways, it wasn't very severe in Lahore, and we all fell back to sleep afterwards. There were a couple of minor aftershocks as well. My roomie, being the best pervert of the world :devil: (he just told me to type this), told me just as the quake ended that he thought that I had thought that everyone had fallen asleep, and had taken advantage of the fact and [bad advice from your roommate: text deleted ~ Moonbear]! :rofl: The earthquake's epicenter was 80 km northeast of Islamabad (that's 50 miles). A ten story apartment building collapsed there and only the top 3-stories remained intact. :cry: In Peshawar, which is very near the Afghanistan border, and where my family lives, there were more than 9 strong aftershocks, and people died there too (thankfully my family is OK, my mom made everyone run out of the house as soon as it hit...but nothing happened to the house either). My dad's gone to Japan for a week for a medical conference, so he wasn't there...but he just emailed me asking if I was alright. I found out all this after I woke up (a few min back)...over a thousand people dead in Pakistan, and entire villages have been wiped from existence in Kashmir and the Northern Areas. It's the biggest earthquake ever in the history of Pakistan :cry: Please pray for the people affected...

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm glad you and your family are ok. How close were you to the epicenter?

Such tragic loss :(

I only caught a brief story of this on the news this morning (I had only just woken up when the story was on...it might not have been a brief story, but I only saw part of it).

Good to hear you and your family are safe and unharmed. It's sad to hear of more lives so tragically lost this year. Mother nature sure has had a bad temper this year. My thoughts go out to those who have lost people close to them in this.

I was more than 400 km away from the epicenter.

Wow, I didn't realize that degree of shaking could be felt so far from the epicener. I think they did say something on the news about it being a very widespread quake.

Moonbear said:
I only caught a brief story of this on the news this morning (I had only just woken up when the story was on...it might not have been a brief story, but I only saw part of it).

Good to hear you and your family are safe and unharmed. It's sad to hear of more lives so tragically lost this year. Mother nature sure has had a bad temper this year. My thoughts go out to those who have lost people close to them in this.
what was deleted?

NEway. sorry to hear about that :frown:

yomamma said:
what was deleted?

If it was too inappropriate then, chances are it still is now.

about the deleted text...ah well better to leave that out then :wink: nothing related to the earthquake yomamma, just a funny incident, but not appropriate for the young ones

That was a giant of a quake. Sorry to hear so many have been lost to it. The after-shocks may go on for days.

Massive Earth quake

Just came over the news, in India.

BBC says 1000s killed

As if the world needed another disaster.

I felt the quake...my because lost 2 of her friends and another friend lost her parents

About 22 tremors have occurred in that area in the last 18 hrs, including the big one of 7.6 Mag (0350 UTC) and another at 6.2 Mag (1046 UTC). Most after shocks have been beteen Mag 5-6.

Several thousand may have been killed according to various news sources. :frown:

Cerafix, I am glad you and your friends are OK. How is the rest of your family?

cefarix said:
I felt the quake...my because lost 2 of her friends and another friend lost her parents
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Such news feels more "real" when you find out you know someone so personally affected by it. How old is your friend who lost her parents? Aside from the grief (which is of course no small thing) will she be okay on her own? I hope she has a good network of friends and family who can offer her the comfort she'll need. Losing one's parents while still young is really tough. I always feel worst for the young people who have their innocence about life ripped away and have to grow up far too soon in the wake of tragedy.

it wasnt my friend...my cuzs friend. i will talk to my because in detail today about it if i get a chance :(

Yahoo is saying 18,000 dead, that is terrible!

I heard over 30,000 now.

The AP reports are just so sad, it may be weeks until they can get to some of the villages, and medical help will be spotty, at best. Many countries are sending help, but are having a hard time finding good landing/staging areas.

cefarix said:
There was a 7.6 magnitude earthquake early this morning in Pakistan. I was getting ready to sleep, around 9 am, when it hit Lahore...See, we were sleeping in the common room which has AC (our individual rooms don't have AC)...It was me, my roomie, and 3 other people sleeping there. We were sleeping on mattresses put on the ground, and I had put my mattress right next to my roomie's. All of a sudden, it seems like the bed is shaking cause my roomie is shaking his leg. Then I think, "Wait, I'm not on a bed!" And I jolt upright confused, at first think I think maybe I'm dizzy. Then I see that the whole room is moving to and fro...like swaying in a light breeze, about 2 or 3 inches. By that time my roomie and the other guys sleeping there had also woken up. And my roomie was sort of confused, and I told him, "Dude, it's an earthquake." Anyways, it wasn't very severe in Lahore, and we all fell back to sleep afterwards. There were a couple of minor aftershocks as well. My roomie, being the best pervert of the world :devil: (he just told me to type this), told me just as the quake ended that he thought that I had thought that everyone had fallen asleep, and had taken advantage of the fact and [bad advice from your roommate: text deleted ~ Moonbear]! :rofl: The earthquake's epicenter was 80 km northeast of Islamabad (that's 50 miles). A ten story apartment building collapsed there and only the top 3-stories remained intact. :cry: In Peshawar, which is very near the Afghanistan border, and where my family lives, there were more than 9 strong aftershocks, and people died there too (thankfully my family is OK, my mom made everyone run out of the house as soon as it hit...but nothing happened to the house either). My dad's gone to Japan for a week for a medical conference, so he wasn't there...but he just emailed me asking if I was alright. I found out all this after I woke up (a few min back)...over a thousand people dead in Pakistan, and entire villages have been wiped from existence in Kashmir and the Northern Areas. It's the biggest earthquake ever in the history of Pakistan :cry: Please pray for the people affected...

Oh Cefarix. This event is awful. I am so glad your family is OK. I am in shock at the death toll.

cefarix said:
I am so, so teriibly sorry.

My condolences to the people of Pakistan.

I just heard about that earthquake. :cry: I have an on line friend from Pakistan and receive his mail on Friday! My God, hope he'll be fine.

hehe well you have another pakistani friend right here :tongue:

Lets just hope that recue gets to those who need it, and shelter for the
living, after that a long haul to recorvery is avoided .

100,000+ dead.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Local_News&subsection=Qatar+News&month=October2005&file=Local_News2005101143444.xml [Broken]

Most of the dead in the tremor-hit regions in the north of Pakistan were children, says a prominent Doha-based resident from the affected areas. He also expects the death toll in the tragedy to cross 100,000 to 150,000 after the search and rescue operations end.

Mohamed Khan hails from a village a few kilometres away from Muzaffarabad, the capital city of Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, and he has himself lost a number of close relatives in the calamity with a vast majority of them were children.

The death and destruction wrought by the tremor is too massive to assess at this juncture since large parts of the affected areas remain inaccessible, he says.

Anyone knows which cities are involved?

cefarix said:
hehe well you have another pakistani friend right here :tongue:
Sure but right now I'm worried about him. He's not replied my email yet.:cry:

I hope your friend is ok Lisa.
I ended up crying myself to sleep last night after watching the news. So many little children gone, it just broke my heart.
Winter is settleing in fast this year too.

Lisa! said:
Anyone knows which cities are involved?

Sure but right now I'm worried about him. He's not replied my email yet.:cry:

Perhaps you could tell me where he lived or his phone number or any other contact info you have for him?

Death toll more than 42,000 now. People are still being rescued alive from the rubble of collapsed buildings. Entire villages have been wiped off the map in Kashmir and the Northern Areas, and since no one has been able to reach them yet, we have no idea how many are dead there. Pakistani authorities are now requesting satellite photography of the remote areas to better assess damage and how to get aid there. There are now rescue teams and doctors from Switzerland, China, Britian, Germany, Turkey, Russia, and other countries, as well as helicopters and C-130 transports being sent by India, America, Turkey, Indonesia, and others. There are still aftershocks happening.

Wow.

(((((Another hug)))))

My thoughts are with you guys.

The turnout of the people everywhere has been really amazing to me. So much aid has been received and is still coming (40 more helicopters are coming in tomorrow) from the international community. And from within Pakistan, it seems almost every person capable of donating something is doing so. I just saw an interview on the news with a government official from Azad Jammu & Kashmir (AJK), and he is saying that the number 1 thing needed are tents, because almost all the people that survived the earthquake have either had their homes completely destroyed or structurally unsound to live in, and are living out in the open. With winter fast approaching, its imperitive that tents be gotten to the people. Only after the tents have gotten there, can stuff like blankets, clothes, milk, water, and rice be useful. He also mentioned that among the medical supplies, the most needed are to treat bone fractures, antibiotics, and wound repair tools. The death toll from the collapsed apartment tower in Islamabad has risen to 39 with the removal of 2 more dead bodies from the debris. For the moment, search and rescue operations have been suspended because any further removal of debris might cause the second tower to collapse on the first (the second tower has tilted over and is now leaning on the debris of the first). A couple of aftershocks of magnitude 4.0 were felt today in the largest city of Pakistan, Karachi. This is amazing because Karachi is right on the coastline over 2000 km from where the initial earthquake was. Thankfully, there was no damage whatsoever. On a brighter side, electricity will be begin to restored to intact areas of Muzaffarabad by tomorrow. The Pakistan Air Force has also established a forward relief base at Muzaffarabad to support operations into remote areas of Kashmir. There is now so much relief flowing into Muzaffarabad for Muzaffarabad and from there on to the rest of Kashmir, that traffic jams of supply trucks miles long have formed.

Last edited:
Good news: Donations of supplies by people in the port city of Karachi to the PAF Museum collection alone have reached the level of 130 C-130 transport planes in just 2 days.
Bad news: The aid is not getting to the victims fast enough, and there are only 2 C-130 transport planes available from Karachi which are making daily trips.

Thank you cefarix and hypatia.:smile: I just received my friend's email, he's ok since hewas far from northeast where the earthquake's happened. He's said a child was found alive 102 hours after the disaster.

200,000 dead.
http://pakistantimes.net/2005/10/13/top.htm [Broken]

Scale of Gravity

The gravity of the massive shock has started to filter in. Starvation, disease, injuries, biting cold, anger, depression, breakdown of law and order and now heavy rain haunt survivors of Saturday’s devastating earthquake in which over 200,000 people are feared dead.

I hadn't heard the 200,000 number. Wow!

this morning I had to google for the latest on this earthquake. It turns out there have been two more aftershocks, and the death tolls that I have been following have jumped from 54,000 yesterday to 79,000 today, as a result.

I don't understand why our headlines are dominated with Wilma (I recognize she could be even worse than Katrina) when tens of thousands of people died in aftershocks today in Pakistan. Where are the appeals for aid?

Cefarix, are you OK?