Understanding the Formula in my Book

In summary, the author of the book is trying to explain a formula for reflection around different planes, but has difficulty understanding it. The book has a chapter on group theory, but it is not clear whether the author is referring to this chapter when he talks about the "certain special thing".
M. Kohlhaas
Hello,

in my Book is a formula, namely

sigma^(1) C_2 = sigma^(12)

where sigma^(1) is a reflection about the x-z-plane, C_2 is a pi-rotation about the z-axis and sigma^(12) is a reflection about the midway plane between x-z- and y-z-plane. When i in my Imagination make the steps on the left I come out at a totally different point as where the right-hand side would send me. Obviously I have completely misunderstood the formula and I don't the the sun anymore. Can someone please explain me the meaning of that statement?

Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a unit cube and label its corners 1 through 6. Then you can write down how the symmetries act on these corners as a permutation.
Also, note that there is no general consensus on the order of the operations, some people mean "first do [itex]\sigma^1[/itex] then [itex]C_2[/itex]" when they write down [itex]\sigma^1 C_2[/itex], some people read it as "perform [itex]\sigma^1[/itex] after [itex]C_2[/itex]". Maybe this is why you don't get the same answer?

Alternatively, you could write out the operations as matrices working on the vectors of a standard orthonormal basis and work out the left hand side by matrix multiplication.

Either it's wrong or there's some error in transcribing it. The LHS is equivalent to a reflection about the y-z plane.

Can you include the complete excerpt from the book - this will provide some context and make it possible to debug. Also include the name and edition of the book. The connection between the above operations and the symmetry group in the title (D2h) is also not clear.

CompuChip said:
Also, note that there is no general consensus on the order of the operations, some people mean "first do [itex]\sigma^1[/itex] then [itex]C_2[/itex]" when they write down [itex]\sigma^1 C_2[/itex], some people read it as "perform [itex]\sigma^1[/itex] after [itex]C_2[/itex]". Maybe this is why you don't get the same answer?
In this case the convention is to first apply [itex]C_2[/itex] and then [itex]\sigma^(1)[/itex].

Gokul43201 said:
Can you include the complete excerpt from the book - this will provide some context and make it possible to debug. Also include the name and edition of the book. The connection between the above operations and the symmetry group in the title (D2h) is also not clear.
The book's name is "symmetry - an introduction to group theory" written by Roy McWeeny. Hier is an excerpt; the certain special thing which i asked for is marked in red:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9528/bahnhof2xt7.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the formula in my book and why is it important to understand?

The formula in your book is a set of mathematical or scientific equations that represent a concept or relationship. It is important to understand because it allows you to apply the concept to different situations and make predictions or solve problems.

How do I interpret the variables and symbols in the formula?

The variables and symbols in the formula represent different quantities or values. It is important to understand what each one stands for in order to correctly use the formula and interpret the results. Consult the key or legend provided in your book or do further research on the specific symbols used.

What is the purpose of using a formula instead of just using numbers?

Formulas allow us to express complex relationships or concepts in a concise and organized manner. They also allow us to make predictions or solve problems using different values, rather than just relying on specific numerical values.

How can I check if I am using the formula correctly?

There are a few ways to check if you are using the formula correctly. First, make sure you are using the correct formula for the specific concept or problem you are working on. Second, check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct mathematical operations. Finally, try plugging in different values and see if the results make sense in relation to the concept or problem.

Can I manipulate the formula and still get accurate results?

Yes, in many cases you can manipulate the formula as long as you follow the rules of algebra or calculus. However, it is important to understand the concept behind the formula and the effects of any manipulations you make. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a teacher or further resources for guidance.