Which books are recommended for mastering QED calculations in QFT?

In summary: I would also recommend reading some of the forum book reviews, as there are many recommendations there.In summary, these are some books that have worked well for people who are wanting to learn QED on their own: -Mandl and Shaw -Izykson and Zuber -Srednicki
jdstokes
Hi all,

I'm currently learning QFT out of Mandl and Shaw supplemented by Peskin and Schroeder.

What are the best books for getting experience with QED calculations? Problems with worked solutions would be ideal.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Ryder is definitely worth having.

Another note. Are you learning QED or are you learning QFT? Because QFT contains a lot of things that you simply won't see in QED, so it's good to keep a broad outlook (anomalies*, non-abelian gauge theories, non-perturbative effects).

* Well, more than what is in QED.

malawi_glenn said:
We have book-question section on this forum, see "Academic & Career Guidance" --> "Science Book Reviews"

I'm moving this there. Perhaps the OP should do a search of the book review forum, since there are a plethora of threads on books for QFT.

jdstokes said:
Hi all,

I'm currently learning QFT out of Mandl and Shaw supplemented by Peskin and Schroeder.

What are the best books for getting experience with QED calculations? Problems with worked solutions would be ideal.

Do you really mean QED specifically? And at what level are you interested? I mean do you want to go into multiloop calculations?

If you focus on QED and up to one loop only, there is not much to calculate. And all the basic calculations are done in the standard QFT books (I love Srednicki's book)

We're going to cover basically the first 9 chapters of Mandl and Shaw: Lagrangian field theory, Klein gordon and Dirac field, covariant photon theory, S-matrix expansion, Feynman diagrams and rules, QED processes in lowest order and radiative corrections.

No multi-loop expansions.

I will be learning non-abelian gauge theories and the standard model, but not for another 2 months or so.

jdstokes said:
We're going to cover basically the first 9 chapters of Mandl and Shaw: Lagrangian field theory, Klein gordon and Dirac field, covariant photon theory, S-matrix expansion, Feynman diagrams and rules, QED processes in lowest order and radiative corrections.

No multi-loop expansions.

I will be learning non-abelian gauge theories and the standard model, but not for another 2 months or so.

Ok. SO you basically simply need a good QFT book as an extra reference?

Correct me if I am wrong by Mandl and Shaw only use canonical quantization, right? No path integral?

SO if I think about books that are pedagogically good and which are suitable at the level you are pursuing now, I would say that Srednicki would be very valuable. Maybe also Maggiore (A moderne introduction to quantum field theory).

1. What is QFT and why is it important?

QFT, or quantum field theory, is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the smallest scales, and has been successful in explaining many phenomena in particle physics.

2. What types of books are available for QFT calculations?

There are a variety of books available for QFT calculations, including introductory textbooks, advanced texts for graduate students, and specialized texts for specific areas of QFT such as string theory and particle interactions. Some books also focus on the mathematical and computational aspects of QFT.

3. What mathematical background is needed for understanding QFT calculations?

A good understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for understanding QFT calculations. Familiarity with group theory and complex analysis can also be helpful. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity before delving into QFT.

4. How can I use QFT calculations in my research or experiments?

QFT calculations can be used in a variety of research and experimental settings, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. These calculations can help make predictions and provide insights into the behavior of particles and systems at the smallest scales.

5. Are there any online resources or software available for QFT calculations?

Yes, there are several online resources and software packages available for QFT calculations. Some popular ones include Mathematica, Python libraries such as SciPy and SymPy, and the FeynCalc package for Mathematica. There are also many online resources, such as lecture notes and video lectures, that can provide additional guidance and practice for QFT calculations.