Nimonic 115 Nickel Alloy: Poisson's Ratio

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Poisson's ratio of Nimonic 115 nickel-based alloy. The person asking the question has tried searching for it on Google but was unsuccessful. They also mention that it took them two hours for nothing. When asked if they are buying the alloy, they clarify that they are using it for research purposes. The other person in the conversation suggests contacting the manufacturer, Special Metals, for technical information and recommends speaking to an applications engineer. The person asking the question also mentions that they have chosen Nimonic 115 as their turbine blade material, but if data on its Poisson's ratio is not available, they are considering changing to another material.
everybody
do anyone knows how to find poisson's ratio of nimonic 115 nickle based alloy?i try google it can't found it::frown:.It took me two hours for nothing..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Call however you are buying it from?
I don't have any materials references that specific - it might also be that the makers don't have a value for that alloy but might know that it's not too different from another alloy.

Last edited:
Are you perhaps referring to Multimet, N-155 (in stead of 115)?

FredGarvin said:
Are you perhaps referring to Multimet, N-155 (in stead of 115)?

no,i want nimonic 115 like in this url http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/Nimonic115.asp"
I have chosen this material to be my turbine blade material.If this material don't have available data of poisson ratio,i consider to change to other material which have its data and perhaps better than this material.DO you have any suggestion?

mgb_phys said:
Call however you are buying it from?
I don't have any materials references that specific - it might also be that the makers don't have a value for that alloy but might know that it's not too different from another alloy.

i don't want to buy it.i just want it for my research

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Nimonic 115 Nickel Alloy?

Nimonic 115 is a high-strength nickel-based alloy that contains chromium, cobalt, and molybdenum. It is known for its excellent high-temperature strength and resistance to oxidation and corrosion.

2. What is the Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115?

The Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115 is typically between 0.26 and 0.28, depending on the specific heat treatment and testing conditions. This value indicates the material's ability to withstand deformation under stress.

3. How does the Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115 compare to other nickel alloys?

Compared to other nickel alloys, Nimonic 115 has a relatively high Poisson's Ratio. For example, Inconel 718 has a Poisson's Ratio of 0.29, while Hastelloy X has a value of 0.33.

4. Does the Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115 change with temperature?

Yes, the Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115 can change at high temperatures due to thermal expansion and phase changes. However, it typically remains within the range of 0.26 to 0.28.

5. How is the Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115 measured?

The Poisson's Ratio of Nimonic 115 is typically measured using tensile or compression testing. The strain in the transverse direction is compared to the strain in the longitudinal direction to determine the Poisson's Ratio.