Can you survive in the jungle?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Ummmm... nevermind.the notebook and a tub of ice cream.oh, and also, don't forget the machete.That's why you make a spear. ;-)Though I probasbly would not be killing monkeys or apes either. Fish totally. If I were really desperate I may even try going up against a boar, a small one anyway.No no no no no. See first you make friends with the orangutan. You want to get to the point where you can pick the bugs out of his hair to eat them, which will hold you over until you kill him. Do not give him a name as this will make you second guess yourself
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My first attempt was only 75%

Congratulations, you passed with a score of 75%. Just brush up on what you missed and you'd make an excellent survivor.
Nice way of saying, sorry, but you'd be dead by morning. :redface:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/quiz/quiz.php

What's your score, come on, be honest. How many survivorman and Bear Gryll's shows have you watched?

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations, you passed with a score of 85%. Just brush up on what you missed and you'd make an excellent survivor.

You should know that if your skin swells up and gets itchy you've probably come into contact with a poisonous plant. I'm telling you this because judging from your quiz you would have no idea otherwise.
Hey, the correct answer was bogus if you DO know your plants! Trick question!

I think I could last a week. Can I have my TV show now? "Chi Meson Presents: Itchy Plants"

105% :)

Chi Meson said:
Hey, the correct answer was bogus if you DO know your plants! Trick question!

I think I could last a week. Can I have my TV show now? "Chi Meson Presents: Itchy Plants"
LOL, Yes, you can have your own survivor show.

Theme: Lone physics teacher teacher is dropped in the jungle with an orange trash bag, an old sock filled with sulphur and a copy of "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman"...in Braille

SPOILER ALERT:
The thing that bugs me is the question on "avoiding poisonous plants" put the correct answer as "avoid all mushrooms." But, if I'm going to run across a patch of shaggys, corals, or morels while "surviving," and then remember "hey, an internet quiz told me to avoid all mushrooms coz that's the correct answer..."

well, I'll just stay at home then!

Stupid quiz!

And I also don't know my sharks. Last time I checked...

NO SHARKS IN THE JUNGLE!

Chi Meson said:
And I also don't know my sharks. Last time I checked...

NO SHARKS IN THE JUNGLE!
Land Sharks.

Rotfl i did my senior project in high school on surviving in the wilderness. so maybe the forests here are quite a bit different, but still...

my score... 45% lol

60%. I'm pretty much doomed. Although I've always wondered what I would do if I was stranded on an uninhabited island.. perhaps it would be the most awesome experience for me

It wasn't pretty, but you passed with a score of 60%. All things in moderation huh?

Judging from what questions you got wrong you better hope you don't get stranded in the desert, I don't think you'd make it.

Kinda what I thought.

Apparently I know exactly how to survive a zombie apocalypse though. ;-)
Would you survive a zombie attack?

You Did perfect!

You made every move correctly.

65%

Where were the questions about killing things? Id sure as hell kill a monkey and eat his brain before i'd start chowing down on veggies.

MotoH said:
65%

Where were the questions about killing things? Id sure as hell kill a monkey and eat his brain before i'd start chowing down on veggies.

Yeah I kind of doubt anyone here is capable of killing a monkey, a chimp, an ape, or any kind of animal with their bare hands :biggrin:

Now if you had your Ti-89 calculator with ya, you might be able to bludgeon them to death

cronxeh said:
Yeah I kind of doubt anyone here is capable of killing a monkey, a chimp, an ape, or any kind of animal with their bare hands :biggrin:

Now if you had your Ti-89 calculator with ya, you might be able to bludgeon them to death

That's why you make a spear. ;-)

Though I probasbly would not be killing monkeys or apes either. Fish totally. If I were really desperate I may even try going up against a boar, a small one anyway.

No no no no no. See first you make friends with the orangutan. You want to get to the point where you can pick the bugs out of his hair to eat them, which will hold you over until you kill him. Do not give him a name as this will make you second guess yourself (although clyde is an excellent orangutan name.) Next you pull a 2001: A Space Odyssey on him, and beat him with a bone.

Now you are the king of the jungle and all the lady orangutans are flocking to you like you are the notebook and a tub of ice cream.

MotoH said:
Now you are the king of the jungle and all the lady orangutans are flocking to you like you are the notebook and a tub of ice cream.

Ummmm... nevermind.

MotoH said:
the notebook and a tub of ice cream.

Oh that is disgusting, I'm not sure what is more repulsive - Brokeback Mountain or The Notebook

I think this works on orangutans too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLTQ14TEyY

Last edited:
80%

I'm not sure what knowing that you can lose 15% (or whatever it was) of your water before dying has to do with survival though.

I got a 75%, but I think some of the answers are questionable. I'm actually a decent survivalist -- though I've been 'out of it' for a while.

I got 70%, but I'm a little confused about some of the questions. Like, if a shark isn't on the list of the 4 most likely to attack people, does that mean it is okay to go swimming with it? And what's wrong with talking to a volleyball? I find it very relaxing. Don't you, Wilson?

JaWiB said:
80%

I'm not sure what knowing that you can lose 15% (or whatever it was) of your water before dying has to do with survival though.

That way you make certain you don't lose it because, well, you'll die, and all.

CRGreathouse said:
I got a 75%, but I think some of the answers are questionable. I'm actually a decent survivalist -- though I've been 'out of it' for a while.

See, that's where you fell down. Answers are answerable, not questionable. The questionable ones are questions.

"It wasn't pretty, but you passed with a score of 55%. All things in moderation huh?"

I'll die a few minutes I suppose. Damn! Watching Man vs Wild and Survivorman didn't help very much.

Congratulations, you passed with a score of 75%. Just brush up on what you missed and you'd make an excellent survivor.

What do these questions have to do with surviving anyway. If I'm lost in the post-apocalyptic jungle, all I need is my dog. Yeah, I have to find canned food for him, but he is really good at finding women.

50% and I was once a Scout.

50%. I guess talking with Spalding was not considered a correct answer.

BobG said:
What do these questions have to do with surviving anyway. If I'm lost in the post-apocalyptic jungle, all I need is my dog. Yeah, I have to find canned food for him, but he is really good at finding women.

I am unsure about jungle women. I imagine they must be either very sexy or very... not. I think telepathic dogs ought to know how to survive in the jungle too.

Certainly some issues with the answers, like ruling out other correct answers which may or may not have considerations.

Shelter on a hill for signalling and lookout? Sure, if there is a hill and if it's is not covered with forest and you can look around indeed. Otherwise you may find yourself having a water problem. However along the stream/creek/river you may see much more of the sky and rescuers tend to concentrate on looking around rivers, as navigational aid, and also they may also travel by boat.

On the other hand, there can be a risk of flooding. So about questions and answers like that, it's not always a done deal, don't let drill and procedure overtake common sense.

Also, you don't digest salt but you need lots more water to get rid of it again (kidneys).

My score is not important..used to be my profession.

How am I going to measure the percentage of water in my body when I am in the middle of a jungle? Jungles are pretty rainy are they not?

I thought I did good, but got 60%.

MotoH said:
How am I going to measure the percentage of water in my body when I am in the middle of a jungle? Jungles are pretty rainy are they not?

That was my thought. How am I supposed to know what percentage of water I have lost?

TheStatutoryApe said:
That was my thought. How am I supposed to know what percentage of water I have lost?
I thought the question was what percent of water loss was fatal. I got it wrong.

Evo said:
I thought the question was what percent of water loss was fatal. I got it wrong.

I guessed and didn't check. But yes, how am I supposed to know what percentage of water I have lost so I can be careful not to lose too much more? If it asked symptoms of dehydration that would have made more sense. The percentage thing seems to me like one of those tidbits a wilderness survival expert tells you just to scare you into realizing how little it might take for you to die.

I got 70%.

The question in question was...

How much water must the body lose before death?

...which is not a logical question, because a body can die fully hydrated :confused:.

lisab said:
I got 70%.

The question in question was...

...which is not a logical question, because a body can die fully hydrated :confused:.
I took it to mean what percentage of water loss would be fatal. Not that you would have any way of monitoring that if you happened to be lost in the jungle. And as was pointed out, water would probably not be a concern in a jungle, you could probably collect enough dew every morning on leaves even if it didn't rain.

1. Can you survive in the jungle without any supplies?

Surviving in the jungle without any supplies is extremely difficult and should not be attempted. The jungle is a harsh and unpredictable environment, and having essential supplies such as food, water, and shelter is crucial for survival.

2. What are the most important skills needed to survive in the jungle?

The most important skills for surviving in the jungle include being able to find and purify water, building shelter, starting a fire, and knowing how to identify edible plants and animals. It is also important to have a basic understanding of navigation and first aid.

3. How do you protect yourself from dangerous animals in the jungle?

The best way to protect yourself from dangerous animals in the jungle is to avoid them altogether. This can be done by making noise while walking, avoiding areas with high animal activity, and properly storing food. If confronted by a dangerous animal, remain calm and slowly back away while making yourself look as big as possible.

4. What are the biggest dangers in the jungle?

The biggest dangers in the jungle include extreme weather conditions, poisonous plants and animals, and getting lost. It is important to be prepared for these dangers and have a plan in case of an emergency. Additionally, being aware of your surroundings and staying alert can help prevent potential dangers.

5. How can you find your way out of the jungle if you get lost?

If you find yourself lost in the jungle, the first step is to stay calm and assess your surroundings. Look for any landmarks or signs of civilization. If possible, try to retrace your steps. If you have a map and compass, use them to navigate. If not, try to find a high point to get a better view of your surroundings. It is also helpful to have a signaling device, such as a whistle or mirror, to attract attention if needed.