Is it Rational to Only Use Trusted Items for Your Children's Safety?

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is discussing the safety of old car seats and whether they are safe enough to use or if it is better to buy a new one. The article mentioned argues that the safety of car seats depends on factors such as how it is used and whether it is suitable for the child's size and weight, rather than just the brand or age of the seat. Some people believe it is better to err on the side of caution and buy a new car seat, while others believe it is not necessary and that children survived without them in the past. Ultimately, the safety of the child is the most important factor in this debate.
Physics news on Phys.org
Which way are we meant to be looking at this?

I really dislike the way people look at safe/unsafe as a black and white thing becuase you are always comparing it to something else. Safer than or less safe than is a better question.

Are old car seats 'unsafe'? ie They will have a 100% certainty of failure- Probably not.
Are they less safe than a new one? - Yes.

As much as plastic does degrade under UV etc it will likely have been designed structurally to end of life values. So using it significantly beyond it's life will make it less safe, but 5 years seems like pure marketing to me.

Last edited:
The article seems fair enough. How they are fitted and used (including the past usage history), and whether it is suitable for the size and weight of the child, is just as important as the brand name on the seat or its age.

But in the US, if you can't sue somebody when you kill your kid because of your own poor driving, I guess that means "the seat isn't safe".

Yet I, as a child, "somehow" survived the nonexistence of car seats when we were kids in the 60s, and utterly intact. My parent's were very cautious drivers.

That doesn't change the fact that some drivers out there aren't cautious at all.

mugaliens said:
Yet I, as a child, "somehow" survived the nonexistence of car seats when we were kids in the 60s, and utterly intact.

Bet you didn't even have belts in the rear seats.

mugaliens said:
Yet I, as a child, "somehow" survived the nonexistence of car seats when we were kids in the 60s, and utterly intact. My parent's were very cautious drivers.

That doesn't change the fact that some drivers out there aren't cautious at all.

People "somehow" survived without antibiotics. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

It can be safe if you check the sit if its hold strong enough. But for me "no". I wouldn't ever trust an old car seats.

DavidSnider said:
People "somehow" survived without antibiotics. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Not entirely sure you got the point there.

I don't need to read the article. I wouldn't buy a secondhand anything from anyone I didn't know and trust where a childs safety is an issue. Any environmental consideration would be ignored.

Roads are far busier and faster now so I would say the safety issue is more important than in the past.

Last edited:
cobalt124 said:
I wouldn't buy a secondhand anything from anyone I didn't know and trust where a childs safety is an issue.

That's not a very rational position to take.

Was your house built entirely from new, and only by people you knew and trusted? Is the same true for everything in your house that might possibly harm your kids? Do you only feed them with food grown by people you know and trust? Getting closer to car seats, was your car built (and is it maintained) only by people you know and trust?

It is possible the answers to all those questions are "yes", but most kids get along just fine without such paranoia. In fact they may be better off learning how to evaluate risks for themselves (and making a few non-fatal mistakes along the way) rather than living in an artificial bubble.

To be honest, although most second hand car seats are totally fine, rationally I know this. I'd buy new.

It's just one of those things.

AlephZero said:
That's not a very rational position to take.

Was your house built entirely from new, and only by people you knew and trusted? Is the same true for everything in your house that might possibly harm your kids? Do you only feed them with food grown by people you know and trust? Getting closer to car seats, was your car built (and is it maintained) only by people you know and trust?

It is possible the answers to all those questions are "yes", but most kids get along just fine without such paranoia. In fact they may be better off learning how to evaluate risks for themselves (and making a few non-fatal mistakes along the way) rather than living in an artificial bubble.

Yes, it's probably not rational, and I'm lucky to have the money to make that choice with a car seat, for example. Where I don't have the money, buying a house under those criteria for instance, I'm forced to be rational, as with food, as with our car. I didn't mean to come across all principled and paranoid there, just that that was the choice we made for car seats. "Anything" would apply to anything we could afford in this case. Sloppy language from me.

1. Are old car seats safe for my child?

The safety of an old car seat depends on several factors. If the car seat is less than 6 years old, has never been in a crash, and has no visible damage, it is generally considered safe to use. However, if the seat is older than 6 years, has been in a crash, or has any damage, it should not be used as it may no longer meet safety standards.

2. What safety standards should I look for in a car seat?

When purchasing a car seat, look for one that meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 213. This means that the seat has been tested and approved for use in motor vehicles. Additionally, look for a seat that has been certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), as this indicates that the seat meets current safety standards.

3. Can I reuse a car seat from my older child for my younger child?

It is generally not recommended to reuse a car seat for a younger child, unless it meets the criteria for being safe to use. As children grow, their bodies change and a seat that was once a good fit may no longer provide adequate protection. Additionally, car seat technology and safety standards may have changed, making an older seat less safe for a younger child.

4. How long can I use a car seat before it needs to be replaced?

Car seats come with expiration dates for a reason. The materials and components used in car seats can degrade over time, making them less effective in protecting your child in a crash. The average lifespan of a car seat is 6 years. After this time, it is recommended to replace the seat with a new one that meets current safety standards.

5. What is the safest way to install a car seat?

The safest way to install a car seat is to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use either the LATCH system or the vehicle's seat belt to secure the seat. Make sure the seat is tightly secured and does not move more than an inch in any direction. Additionally, make sure the harness straps are snug and properly positioned on your child's body.