Cat's in the Cradle - Lyric Analysis and Meaning

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
In summary, this song is about a relationship that is slowly dying. The lyrics are sad and the message is that by the time the relationship is over, it is too late.
jobyts
The lyrics of this song is just so amazing, I thought of putting it here as a new thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqwKfgLaeA

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a joke in our family about a cousin who is always saying we will do lunch or get together soon. He is the only family member I have on this coast and he lives only a few blocks away. I have see him twice in 21 years. :rolleyes: No Three times. Once in Jack's .99 store. He is a billionaire and that is how he stays one. :biggrin:
So when ever he calls or emails we sing this song. "And we'll get together then..."

I hope I am not the world's worst father, but these lyrics are the saddest in the world to me. I always end up crying when i hear this song. This is an amazingly insightful work of art. Unfortunately, the message of this song is that by the time we get it, it's too late. I cannot listen to it. Guys, when you retire and they give you a card and say goodbye, where are you going to go? Hopefully to visit your kids and grands. But only if you have remembered them.

Last edited:
Great song! I still have my old 45.

Like the sands of the hour glass... :biggrin:

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
I hope I am not the world's worst father, but these lyrics are the saddest in the world to me. I always end up crying when i hear this song. This is an amazingly insightful work of art. Unfortunately, the message of this song is that by the time we get it, it's too late. I cannot listen to it. Guys, when you retire and they give you a card and say goodbye, where are you going to go? Hopefully to visit your kids and grands. But only if you have remembered them.

I wouldn't say my dad was good or I ever want to be like him. Both me and my sister (currently in college) hate visiting home and don't think we would ever have or ever had any family dinner or things like that. But, everyone makes mistakes. More I grow, more love grows for my parents but I don't think I would ever be too close to them. Only thing I have learned is not to make mistakes that they made! :smile:

cant listen to this right now... makes me miss my dad too much...

mathwonk said:
I hope I am not the world's worst father, but these lyrics are the saddest in the world to me.

I find the fact that it's 37 years old even sadder!

Too many of us have seen our relationships evaporate through neglect. Chapin should have gotten an award for that song.

turbo-1 said:
Too many of us have seen our relationships evaporate through neglect. Chapin should have gotten an award for that song.

I think for most of those cases, you wouldn't notice other person's place in your life until it's too late

1. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of "Cat's in the Cradle"?

The song "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin is about a father who is too busy with work and other commitments to spend time with his son. As a result, the son grows up and becomes just like his father, too busy to spend time with him. The song serves as a reminder to prioritize family and not let time slip away.

2. Who wrote "Cat's in the Cradle"?

"Cat's in the Cradle" was written by singer-songwriter Harry Chapin and his wife, Sandy Chapin. The song was released in 1974 and became Chapin's only number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

3. Is "Cat's in the Cradle" based on a true story?

No, "Cat's in the Cradle" is not based on a specific true story. However, Harry Chapin was inspired to write the song after witnessing the relationship between his own son and a friend's son. The song has resonated with many people as it reflects common struggles in parent-child relationships.

4. What is the significance of the "silver spoon" in the lyrics?

The "silver spoon" mentioned in the lyrics represents privilege and wealth. In the song, it is used to symbolize the father's focus on providing material possessions for his son instead of spending quality time with him. It also serves as a reminder that money and possessions cannot replace the value of meaningful relationships.

5. What is the overall message of "Cat's in the Cradle"?

The overall message of "Cat's in the Cradle" is to not let time slip away and to prioritize quality time with loved ones. The song serves as a cautionary tale of the consequences of neglecting important relationships in pursuit of material success. It also highlights the importance of communication and being present in the moment with loved ones.