A subspace has finite codimension n iff it has a complementary subspace of dim nu

In summary, the homework statement is trying to prove that a subspace N of a vector space V has finite codimension n iff N has a complementary subspace M of dimension n. It is shown that N has finite codimension n iff N has a complementary subspace M of dimension n which is the space spanned by \alpha_i.
yifli

Homework Statement

A subspace N of a vector space V has finite codimension n if the quotient space V/N is finite-dimensional with dimension n. Show that a subspace N has finite codimension n iff N has a complementary subspace M of dimension n. Do not assume V to be finite-dimensional.

2. The attempt at a solution
Let [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] ([tex]1\leq i \leq n[/tex]) be the basis of V/N, I want to show the set spanned by [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] is the complementary subspace M.

First I show V=N+M:
since [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] are the basis, each v in V can be represented as [tex]\eta+\sum x_i \alpha_i, \eta \in N[/tex]

Next I prove [tex]N\bigcap M[/tex] = {0}:
if this is not the case, there must be some element in N that can be represented as [tex]\sum x_i \alpha_i[/tex]. Since N is a subspace, this means [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] must be in N. Therefore, [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] cannot be a basis for V/N

Am I correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yifli said:
since [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] are the basis, each v in V can be represented as [tex]\eta+\sum x_i \alpha_i, \eta \in N[/tex]

there must be some element in N that can be represented as [tex]\sum x_i \alpha_i[/tex].

Why should such a representation exists? You only know that [tex]\{N+\alpha_i\}[/tex] is a basis for V/N. This does not mean that [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] is a basis for V! (which seems like you're using!)

For example: Take [tex]V=\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and [tex]N=\mathbb{R}\times\{0\}[/tex]. Then [tex]\{N+(0,1)\}[/tex] is a basis for V/N. But (0,1) is not a basis for [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex].

micromass said:
Why should such a representation exists? You only know that [tex]\{N+\alpha_i\}[/tex] is a basis for V/N. This does not mean that [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] is a basis for V! (which seems like you're using!)

I try to prove the complementary subspace M in question is the space spanned by [tex]\alpha_i[/tex].

In orde to do this, I need to show [tex]M\cap N[/tex]={0}.

So suppose [tex]v \in M\cap N[/tex] and [tex]v \neq 0[/tex], that's why I said v can be represented as [tex]\sum x_i \alpha_i[/tex]

I see, I misunderstood your proof. It seems to be correct though!

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the same properties as the entire vector space. In other words, it is a smaller space that is contained within a larger space.

2. What does it mean for a subspace to have finite codimension n?

A subspace having finite codimension n means that the subspace is n-dimensional and the dimension of the larger vector space is also finite. This indicates that the subspace is relatively small compared to the entire vector space.

3. What is a complementary subspace?

A complementary subspace is another subspace that, when combined with the original subspace, forms the entire vector space. In other words, the two subspaces together span the entire vector space.

4. How does the dimension of a complementary subspace relate to the codimension of the original subspace?

The dimension of a complementary subspace will be equal to the codimension of the original subspace. In other words, if the original subspace has codimension n, then the complementary subspace will have dimension n.

5. Why is it important for a subspace to have a complementary subspace of equal dimension?

If a subspace has a complementary subspace of equal dimension, it means that the subspace spans the entire vector space. This is important because it allows for the full representation of all vectors in the vector space, making it easier to perform calculations and solve problems.