How to get the new Coordinate of an Polygon at angle X

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of a point (x4,y4) in a triangle with known coordinates (x1,x2,x3,y1,y2,y3) and an inclination of 30 degrees. The responder suggests using the triangle law of sines to solve the problem. However, the original problem statement is unclear as it does not specify the coordinate directions or if the polygon is tipped out of its original plane.
abcplex
Let say I have a triangle(polygon). I know all the co-ordinates of all points(x1,x2,x3,y1,y2,y3). Let say the polygon is inclined(at x3,y3) and it's angle is 30 degree. How to get the point x4, y4?

eUNAH.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have not given a clear problem statement at all. To start, you have not really stated what the coordinate directions x and y are. Then you speak of the polygon being inclined; do you mean that it is tipped out of its original plane? If so, it would seem that the implied original x and y coordinates no longer have any meaning at all.

I suggest you try all over again, being sure that we can tell what you intend to say.

1. How do I find the new coordinates of a polygon at a specific angle?

To find the new coordinates of a polygon at a specific angle, you can use the rotation matrix formula. This formula involves multiplying the original coordinates of each point by a rotation matrix that corresponds to the desired angle of rotation. The resulting coordinates will be the new coordinates of the polygon at the given angle.

2. Do I need to know the original coordinates of the polygon to find the new coordinates at an angle?

Yes, you will need to know the original coordinates of the polygon in order to find the new coordinates at an angle. Without the original coordinates, you will not be able to apply the rotation matrix formula to calculate the new coordinates.

3. Can I use any angle to find the new coordinates of a polygon?

Yes, you can use any angle to find the new coordinates of a polygon. The rotation matrix formula can be applied for any angle, whether it is positive or negative, and will give you the new coordinates at that angle.

4. Is there a specific formula or equation to find the new coordinates of a polygon at an angle?

Yes, the formula used to find the new coordinates of a polygon at an angle is called the rotation matrix formula. This formula involves multiplying the original coordinates of each point by a rotation matrix that corresponds to the desired angle of rotation.

5. Can I use this method for any type of polygon?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of polygon as long as you have the original coordinates and the desired angle of rotation. The rotation matrix formula works for all types of polygons, including regular and irregular polygons.