Would someone explain me superconductivity?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding superconductivity in the atomic world and whether it belongs in quantum physics. The admin suggests googling for free information and provides a link to a Wikipedia page explaining superconductivity. They also mention the universal properties of superconductors and a blog post as a guide for further reading. The last response is appreciative of the previous information provided.
Marshallaw4
Would someone explain me superconductivity IN ATOMIC WORLD? if this doesn't belong in quantum physics I am sorry admin

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you googled superconductivity? There is a lot of information out there for free.

Here is a reasonable explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity#Explanation

If you read further in other sections you'll find some interesting insights such as:

On the other hand, there is a class of properties that are independent of the underlying material. For instance, all superconductors have exactly zero resistivity to low applied currents when there is no magnetic field present or if the applied field does not exceed a critical value. The existence of these "universal" properties implies that superconductivity is a thermodynamic phase, and thus possesses certain distinguishing properties which are largely independent of microscopic details.

and see also "Theories of Superconductors' further along in the article.

Marshallaw4 said:
Would someone explain me superconductivity IN ATOMIC WORLD? if this doesn't belong in quantum physics I am sorry admin

And as a guide, please read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
And as a guide, please read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Zz.

VERY NICE. Thanks for posting that. It will save me numerous (internal) cuss-words in responding to lazy newbies.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This allows for the flow of electricity with 100% efficiency, without any energy loss.

2. How does superconductivity work?

Superconductivity is a result of a quantum mechanical phenomenon called Cooper pairing, where electrons form pairs and move together without resistance. This is made possible by the lattice structure of certain materials, which allows for the smooth flow of electrons.

3. What are the applications of superconductivity?

The most well-known application of superconductivity is in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, which use superconducting magnets to generate strong magnetic fields. Superconducting materials also have potential uses in power transmission, transportation, and computing.

4. What are the different types of superconductors?

Superconductors can be classified into two types: Type I and Type II. Type I superconductors are pure metals and have a sharp transition to superconductivity at the critical temperature. Type II superconductors are typically alloys or compounds and have a more gradual transition to superconductivity at the critical temperature.

5. What are the challenges in achieving superconductivity at room temperature?

The main challenge in achieving room temperature superconductivity is finding materials that can maintain their superconducting properties at higher temperatures. This requires a deep understanding of the mechanisms behind superconductivity and the ability to engineer materials with the desired properties.