Geomagnetic Storms: Why Affect Northern Hemisphere?

• Thread starter sailorimc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storm
In summary, the discussion was about geomagnetic storms and their effects on the Northern Hemisphere. It was mentioned that these storms are most noticeable at the poles, where Earth's magnetic field originates. However, the conversation also touched on the fact that auroras caused by geomagnetic storms can also be seen at the South Pole. The idea that these storms only affect the Northern Hemisphere was questioned and the speaker shared their personal experience of viewing and photographing auroras in the Southern Hemisphere.
sailorimc
Hi all,
I have a question regarding geomagnetic storms:
--why always they affects the Northern Hemisphere?
Or did i got this idea wrongly?
Thanks

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
They are most noticeable at the poles [both poles], since that is where Earth's magnetic field originates.

sailorimc said:
Hi all,
I have a question regarding geomagnetic storms:
--why always they affects the Northern Hemisphere?
Or did i got this idea wrongly?
Thanks

yup you did :wink:
but that's OK you have come to a good place of learning :smile:

it has been seen by orbiting satellite photographs over the years that aurora activity at the North and South Poles ( caused by geomagnetic storming)
can often be an almost mirror image of each other.

I used to live in southern New Zealand and from a young age viewed and photographed many aurora
have a look here for some of my pics

just out of curiosity, where did you get the idea that they only affect the northern hemisphere ?
something you read or heard ?

cheers
Dave

1. What are geomagnetic storms?

Geomagnetic storms are temporary disturbances in the Earth's magnetosphere caused by changes in the interplanetary magnetic field. These changes can be caused by solar activity such as solar flares or coronal mass ejections.

2. How do geomagnetic storms affect the Northern Hemisphere?

Geomagnetic storms can cause disruptions in the Earth's magnetic field, which can affect power grids, radio communications, and satellite navigation systems in the Northern Hemisphere. They can also cause beautiful auroras in the night sky.

3. How often do geomagnetic storms occur in the Northern Hemisphere?

Geomagnetic storms occur on average about 200 times per 11-year solar cycle, but their frequency can vary depending on the level of solar activity. During periods of high solar activity, they can occur more frequently.

4. Why are geomagnetic storms more common in the Northern Hemisphere?

Geomagnetic storms are more common in the Northern Hemisphere because the Earth's magnetic field is stronger in the Northern Hemisphere, making it more susceptible to disturbances from solar activity.

5. What are the potential dangers of geomagnetic storms in the Northern Hemisphere?

Geomagnetic storms can cause disruptions in power grids, resulting in blackouts and damage to electrical equipment. They can also interfere with satellite navigation systems, which can be dangerous for air and sea travel. In rare cases, they can even affect human health by disrupting the Earth's magnetic field, which can interfere with the body's internal compass and cause disorientation and other symptoms.