Likelihood Functions: Parameters & Probabilities

In summary, the likelihood function is the probability of a given random variable result given some parameter. This applies to both population parameters and statistical model parameters, but it is important to note that the likelihood function is not the actual probability of the event occurring. Instead, it is used to approximate the probability in certain situations. This is why the term "maximum likelihood" is used instead of "maximum probability".
Cinitiator
As far as I know, the definition of likelihood functions is the probability of a given random variable result given some parameter (please correct me if I'm wrong). What kind of parameters are usually handled by likelihood functions? Population parameters? Statistical model parameters? Both?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cinitiator said:
As far as I know, the definition of likelihood functions is the probability of a given random variable result given some parameter (please correct me if I'm wrong).

For a continuous random variable x with probability density f(x), a number such as f(a) isn't "the probability that x = a". ( For example the desnity of a random variable x uniformly distributed on the interval [0, 1/2] is f(x) = 2 and 2 isn't a possible value for the probability of an event.) The density can be used to approximate the probability that x is in a small interval around a particular value and in many situations, you can think of the density at f(a) as "the probability that x = a" in order to remember the correct formulas. But f(a) isn't actually "the probability that x = a".

The fact that a value of the denstiy function isn't an actual probability explains why the phrase "maximum liklihood" is used instead of the simpler phrase "maximum probability".

1. What is a likelihood function?

A likelihood function is a statistical tool used to estimate the probability of a set of data given a specific model or hypothesis. It is commonly used in maximum likelihood estimation to find the most likely values for the parameters of a statistical model.

2. How is a likelihood function different from a probability function?

A likelihood function is a function of the parameters of a model, while a probability function is a function of the data. The likelihood function tells us how likely a set of data is given a specific set of parameters, while a probability function tells us the likelihood of obtaining a specific set of data.

3. How do you calculate the likelihood function?

The likelihood function is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each data point given the parameters of the model. This can be represented mathematically as L(θ|X) = f(X|θ), where θ represents the parameters and X represents the data.

4. What is the relationship between likelihood functions and maximum likelihood estimation?

Likelihood functions are used in maximum likelihood estimation to find the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood of the data. This involves finding the values of the parameters that make the likelihood function as large as possible, indicating that the data is most likely to occur with those parameter values.

5. Can likelihood functions be used for any type of data?

Yes, likelihood functions can be used for any type of data as long as there is a statistical model that can describe the relationship between the data and the parameters. However, it is important to note that some models may have better fitting likelihood functions for certain types of data than others.