Which Organic Chemistry professor to take?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary, the individual is debating between taking Professor 1 or Professor 2 for Organic Chemistry next semester. They have previously taken Professor 1 and barely passed with an A, but are considering taking the class again. The pros for Professor 1 include their extensive knowledge in the subject and a more flexible schedule, while the cons include their arrogant attitude and the presence of friends in the class as potential distractions. The pros for Professor 2 include their good attitude and perceived easier tests, while the cons include their lack of knowledge in the subject and the potential for a difficult lab. Ultimately, it is recommended that the individual chooses Professor 2 and supplements their learning with an additional textbook, as well as self-study due to potential difficulties with both
member 392791
So I am in a predicament here and can't make up my mind for which Organic Chemistry professor to take next semester. I am a chemical engineering major, so I don't know how important Organic Chemistry will be for me. I already took professor 1 last semester and barely scratched out an A, but I don't know if I want to test the waters again because it was by the hair on my chin that I got the A. The cons that worry me most for professor 1 is the fact that all my friends are in the class and can distract me as well as his attitude and arrogance (It's hard to approach him for help without being made felt stupid), and the con for professor 2 is her lack of knowledge in the subject. Scheduling is also an issue, because professor 2 makes it so all my classes are on tuesday/thursday, which means I only have school twice a week. Professor 1 is monday/wednesday so I will have classes 4 days a week, but less hours on the 4 days. Ialso signed up for gym class so if I have school twice a week the other 3 days I can go and workout and shower then study for the rest of the day, but if I go with professor 1 it will be a little more hectic juggling studying with gym time (because I will have to do my workouts at night instead of early in the morning with the rest of the day to study).

Professor 1
Pros:
- Knows the material much better (has a PhD in Organic Chemistry)
- Grades labs fairly easy
- Has taught class 5+ years
- I more or less know how he tests since I took 1st semester
- Class starts at 9:30 am

Cons:
- Arrogant/Bad attitude
- Exams perceived as more difficult
- Friends are in the class (distractions)
- There is an exam every 2 weeks
- More homework
- Lab is first thing in the morning

Professor 2
Pros:
- Nice/Good attitude
- Tests perceived as being easier
- Friends are not in that class (no distractions)
- Less exams, more content/exam
- Less homework
- Lab is after lecture in the morning

Cons:
- Doesn't know the material as well (MS Biochemistry)
- Grades labs more difficulty
- this is 2nd year teaching the class
- Not exactly sure what the tests will look like (but I looked at 1st semester exams and they were easier than mine)
- class starts at 8 am

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
go with prof 2 and become a self sufficient learner by filling in where you leaves off. You could also ask questions as an aid to get him to fill in the details and make him a better teacher.

I think you picked him already since you worried about prof 1 with distracting friends and distracting arrogance.

How do you know for certain that Professor 2 lacks knowledge?? I would expect an MS in biochemistry to know organic chemistry very well. Maybe not on a PhD level, but that's irrelevant for an intro class anyway.

It's her now 2nd time teaching the class, and I know people who have taken it with her and said she doesn't know what's she's doing. If you don't do organic chemistry for 20+ years after graduating, I suspect you wouldn't know it very well (she has been teaching general chemistry for her entire career and was just given responsibility to teach organic chemistry).

Woopydalan said:
It's her now 2nd time teaching the class, and I know people who have taken it with her and said she doesn't know what's she's doing. If you don't do organic chemistry for 20+ years after graduating, I suspect you wouldn't know it very well (she has been teaching general chemistry for her entire career and was just given responsibility to teach organic chemistry).

Hmmm, then I fear you're a bit on your own. Neither profs will be very helpful to you since they either don't know the material or will make you feel bad. I fear that you'll have to self-study most of the class. I think I would go for Professor 2, but it's just a gut feeling.

Yes, that is the situation in short. Self-study because one teacher can't help, and self study because the other will make you feel bad.

Professor 1! You want to be an apprentice of the best don't you?
And in my experience, professors are hard to talk to because the majority of kids ask obnoxious questions - they don't want to deal with it.

For the record, you will probably be on his good side if you are inquisitive and ask tough questions.

Bump...

I signed up for professor 1 because there was an open spot today (professor 2 has 6 open spots, so I can switch back anytime) but I put myself in this one because someone else might take the spot if I don't

Still would like to hear more opinions :)

Take Prof 2 and sit in on prof 1?

He doesn't take too kindly to that, one student tried and he didn't let them stay

Do Prof 1. You will get a better grade for multiple reasons including the lack of friends as distractions.

Woopydalan said:
He doesn't take too kindly to that, one student tried and he didn't let them stay
How small is the class? I have never had a professor who minded at all if a student sat in on a course. That's odd to me.

It's only 25 people..also Jesse, it was prof 2 that has no friends

Woopydalan said:
It's only 25 people..also Jesse, it was prof 2 that has no friends

Sorry I meant do Prof 2 not 1. My mistake.

Go talk to them during their office hours.

Something very important I forgot to mention: I have the tests/quizzes for prof 2 from last year, and I think some of the questions will definitely be recycled for this year

Don't memorize answers to questions to get good grades. Learn the material. Those questions will not be recycled in life after school.

Something very important I forgot to mention: I have the tests/quizzes for prof 2 from last year, and I think some of the questions will definitely be recycled for this year

When I was in undergraduate, I never knew anybody who was the least bit competent in their work that did this. If I [or my friends who were similar minded] were on a project team for a class (biggest memory being senior design), we made sure that the kids with this mentality had the least responsibility.

Don't believe me? A colleague and I refused to sign a paper that said our "team leader" did sufficient work that would count for professional experience (because he neither got an internship nor summer research). He had to go to fellow slackers to get his signatures. Ha! Too bad he graduated.

1. What is the average grade for students who take Professor A's Organic Chemistry class?

The average grade for students who take Professor A's Organic Chemistry class is a B+.

2. Are there any professors who are known for being more difficult or easier to understand?

Yes, Professor B is known for being more difficult, while Professor C is known for being easier to understand.

3. Do any of the professors offer extra credit opportunities?

Yes, Professor D offers extra credit opportunities throughout the semester.

4. Are there any professors who have a more hands-on approach to teaching Organic Chemistry?

Yes, Professor E incorporates more hands-on activities and experiments into their lectures.

5. How accessible are the professors outside of class for help and clarification?

Most professors hold regular office hours and are available for one-on-one help and clarification. However, some may be more accessible than others, so it's important to check with current or former students for their experiences with specific professors.