Solution of equation involving trig

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and finding the general solution, which involves using inverse trigonometric functions. The concept of radians and degrees is also brought up, with the conclusion being that when working with functions, the variables do not have units and should not be measured in degrees. The conversation ends with a clarification on finding the correct value for C in the general solution.
leroyjenkens
Ok I have this equation which is [tex]x\sqrt{1-y^2}dx = dy[/tex] that I have to solve.

I solved it and got [tex]\frac{x^2}{2} = arcsiny + c[/tex]

I think that's right.

Now the next part of the equation requires me to find the solution of this equation that passes through the point (0,1).

That means I plug 1 in for y and 0 in for x? But [tex]arcsin(1)[/tex] would give me an answer in degrees or radians, wouldn't it?

I'm solving for C, right? Shouldn't I just get a number and not an angle?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your general solution is saying that x is an angle isn't it?
(rearrange so that y is written as a function of x and you'll see).

------------------
aside: you can typeset trig and inverse-trig functions in latex by putting a \ in front of the name, so \arcsin y gets you ##\arcsin y## instead of ##arcsin y##. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Well your general solution is saying that x is an angle isn't it?
(rearrange so that y is written as a function of x and you'll see).

------------------
aside: you can typeset trig and inverse-trig functions in latex by putting a \ in front of the name, so \arcsin y gets you ##\arcsin y## instead of ##arcsin y##. Just sayin.

You mean rearrange it so that I have y on one side and the rest of it on the other? I thought about doing that, but I have no clue how to.

Is there a keyword that you know of that I could Google that would bring up results showing me that process?

leroyjenkens said:
You mean rearrange it so that I have y on one side and the rest of it on the other?
That's right.
I thought about doing that, but I have no clue how to.
um ... you use the fact that arcsine is the inverse function of sine.

if u=arcsin(v) then (taking the sine of both sides) sin(u)=v.

You should have learned long before differential equations that you do NOT use "degrees" for problems like these! Back in Calculus you learned that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) and that the derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x). But you SHOULD have learned, also, that those are only true as long as x is in "radians".

What is really true is that the "x" in sin(x) or cos(x) is NOT an angle at all. When we are working with functions, the variables do NOT, except in specific applications, have any "units" at all- they are just numbers.

Thanks HallsofIvy: I was having a debate with myself whether I should point that stuff out now or later.

I think the uncertainty is understandable: if this function were derived from a physical situation where x is a measurement with units then there may be a problem with the derivation (like a hidden scale factor). There's no indication that this is the case here I know - but I think it's a good instinct.

But I'd have to deal with the issue sooner or later.

um ... you use the fact that arcsine is the inverse function of sine.

if u=arcsin(v) then (taking the sine of both sides) sin(u)=v.
Oh yeah, duh. I took a precalc and trig combined class, so I think that's why my trig is weak.
You should have learned long before differential equations that you do NOT use "degrees" for problems like these!
I don't think we ever had a constant argument in our trig functions in any of my calculus classes. But I figured having an answer in degrees made no sense.
Back in Calculus you learned that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) and that the derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x). But you SHOULD have learned, also, that those are only true as long as x is in "radians".
Actually I don't remember that at all. I just remember learning what derivatives were, and that the derivative of cos(x), for example, is -sin(x), but I don't remember any teacher specifically mentioning that is only true when x is in radians. Well, at least now I know.

And in none of my calc classes did we even get to hyperbolic trig functions.

What is really true is that the "x" in sin(x) or cos(x) is NOT an angle at all. When we are working with functions, the variables do NOT, except in specific applications, have any "units" at all- they are just numbers.
Yes, the 1 in arcsin(1) is just a number, but the answer to "what does arcsin(1) equal?" would not just be a number, and that's where my problem lies. I didn't want to just say "well it equals 90 degrees, so subtract 90 degrees from both sides", because that seemed wrong.
So instead of degrees, finding the radian value of arcsin(1) and subtracting that from both sides would give me the true answer for C?

Thanks for the responses.

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations typically involve finding the value of an unknown angle or side length in a triangle.

How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic techniques to isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equation. This may involve using trigonometric identities or inverse trigonometric functions. Once the variable is isolated, you can use a calculator or reference table to find its numerical value.

What are the common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using the unit circle, using trigonometric identities, and using the properties of the inverse trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of algebra and basic trigonometry concepts.

What are some common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identity, not checking for extraneous solutions, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work when solving these equations.

How can solving trigonometric equations be applied in real life?

Solving trigonometric equations has many real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, trigonometric equations can be used to determine the height of a building, the angle of a ship's course, or the distance between two points on a map. They are also used in fields such as astronomy and surveying.