Orbiting the Sun beyond the Hill sphere

In summary: Think about it. Even if you could ignore Earth's gravity, a solar orbit with a different inclination would still cross Earth orbit at 2 points. The spacecraft would try to go from above the North pole to above the South pole and back again over the course of one orbit. However, the Earth would be in the way.Yes.Think about it. Even if you could ignore Earth's gravity, a solar orbit with a different inclination would still cross Earth orbit at 2 points. The spacecraft would try to go from above the North pole to above the South pole and back again over the course of one orbit. However, the Earth would be in the way.Yes.
xpell
I was wondering if a spacecraft (or any other object) could 'co-orbit' the Earth by orbiting the Sun beyond our Hill sphere. For example, could this object 'hover over' the North (or South) Pole at >1,500,000 km?

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
xpell said:
For example, could this object 'hover over' the North (or South) Pole at >1,500,000 km?

No.

Well shoot. That response was too short. No, it can't.

tiny-tim said:
hi xpell! :smile:

yes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point :wink:

(one theory of the origin of the moon is that it formed from the collision of the Earth with a another body orbiting near the L4 or L5 Lagrangian point, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis#Possible_origin_of_Theia)

Thank you, Tiny-tim. :smile: Rather than positioning "my" spacecraft in the Lagrangians, which I understand they're on the Body 1-Body 2 plane (in this case, the Sun-Earth plane), I was thinking in positioning it in a solar orbit with a slightly different inclination relative to the Sun-Earth plane. The (fancy) idea is having an Earth observatory 'hovering over' the ecliptic poles. I assumed that we must leave the Hill sphere to achieve this.

D H said:
No.

Well shoot. That response was too short. No, it can't.

Thank you too, D H. :smile: May I please ask why? :wink:

Last edited:
xpell said:
Thank you, Tiny-tim. :smile: Rather than positioning "my" spacecraft in the Lagrangians, which I understand they're on the Body 1-Body 2 plane (in this case, the Sun-Earth plane), I was thinking in positioning it in a solar orbit with a slightly different inclination relative to the Sun-Earth plane. The (fancy) idea is having an Earth observatory 'hovering over' the ecliptic poles. I assumed that we must leave the Hill sphere to achieve this.

Thank you too, D H. :smile: May I please ask why? :wink:

Think about it. Even if you could ignore Earth's gravity, a solar orbit with a different inclination would still cross Earth orbit at 2 points. The spacecraft would try to go from above the North pole to above the South pole and back again over the course of one orbit. However, the Earth would be in the way.

Janus said:
Think about it. Even if you could ignore Earth's gravity, a solar orbit with a different inclination would still cross Earth orbit at 2 points. The spacecraft would try to go from above the North pole to above the South pole and back again over the course of one orbit. However, the Earth would be in the way.
I had actually thought about it. :smile: For the sake of the thought experiment, let's assume it's a short mission, just a few weeks, or an asteroid in a temporary orbit approaching the Earth. :wink:

I am actually not so interested in the spacecraft or asteroid thing as in understanding if the Hill sphere is the absolute limit of a body's gravitational influence or you must still need to take it into account.

There is no absolute limit of influence. Even the planets influence each other in a measurable way. The Hill sphere gives the opposite: Outside the hill sphere (or close to it), you have to take the third object (here: sun) into account, while you can neglect it for objects deep inside (like low Earth orbits). So yes, you have to take Earth into account. But a mission for a few weeks with that trajectory looks possible. On the other hand, take two satellites in eccentric orbits, and you get observations with much better resolution for years.

1. What is the Hill sphere and how does it relate to orbiting the Sun?

The Hill sphere, also known as the Roche sphere, is the region around a celestial body in which its gravitational force dominates over the gravitational forces of other nearby bodies. It is calculated by the mass, density, and distance of the body. It is important in understanding orbits, as objects within the Hill sphere are more likely to remain in orbit around the body.

2. Can objects orbit the Sun beyond the Hill sphere?

Yes, objects can technically orbit the Sun beyond the Hill sphere. However, their orbits may not be stable and they are more likely to be influenced by the gravity of other nearby bodies. This can result in their orbit being altered or them being ejected from the solar system.

3. What factors affect an object's ability to orbit the Sun beyond the Hill sphere?

The main factors that affect an object's ability to orbit the Sun beyond the Hill sphere are its mass, density, and distance from the Sun. Objects with a larger mass and/or density will have a larger Hill sphere and therefore a greater ability to maintain their orbit. Objects that are farther from the Sun will also have a larger Hill sphere.

4. How do objects orbiting beyond the Hill sphere affect the rest of the solar system?

If an object is orbiting beyond the Hill sphere, it may have a gravitational influence on other bodies in the solar system. This can result in changes to their orbits, such as making them more elliptical or causing them to collide with other bodies. Additionally, if an object is ejected from the solar system due to its orbit being disrupted, it may potentially enter the orbits of other celestial bodies in the universe.

5. Are there any known objects orbiting the Sun beyond the Hill sphere?

Yes, there are several known objects that orbit the Sun beyond the Hill sphere. These include dwarf planets such as Eris and Sedna, as well as various comets and other small bodies. These objects are often referred to as "trans-Neptunian objects" as they are located beyond the orbit of Neptune.