Cantilever spreadsheet for dummies

• Thread starter Dingomack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary: Did you instead mean, "What is the deflection"? Which deflection? Deflection where, at what point?In summary, the conversation is about calculating the deflection of a cantilever beam under different types of loading. The desired goal is to create an excel spreadsheet that can input a desired Cmax and beam length and output the required deflection of the beam in millimeters. The conversation also discusses the location of Cmax on the beam and the assumptions involved in the calculations.
Dingomack
Any (ideal) beam of length L, bent with a deflection of δ will have the same parabolic curve.

If that underlying assumption is wrong I am in trouble...

(Lots of views on the other thread, but no posts...so I'll try and boil it down to its essence)

Imagine:
Cantilever beam of length L with a concentrated load at the free end producing a curve. Draw a chord on the curve and you have an aerofoil with a width that varies along it's length - narrow at the ends and fatter near the middle. Let's call the widest point the maximum camber (Cmax).

I need to produce an excel spreadsheet where I can input a desired Cmax and a beam length L and output the required deflection of the beam, all in millimeters.

To help me get there I think I need equations for the following:

Q1. Calculate Cmax as a percentage of the chord length,
Q2. At what distance from the fixed end of the beam does the Cmax occur? If my first assumtion is correct - this should be a constant.
Q3. For a given Cmax and beam length L what is the deflection required.

I am not ignoring specific E (modulus of elasticity). The beam that is used will be made of all sorts of different materials, but if my assumption holds, then it is irrelevant.

A background of why I want to do this can be found on the:
Making an aerofoil with a cantilever thread.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Dingomack said:
Any (ideal) [prismatic cantilever] beam of length L, bent with a deflection of delta, will have the same [strike]parabolic[/strike] [cubic] curve.
Dingomack: True, only if the type of applied loading is the same; i.e., in your case, only if there is a concentrated load (P) at the cantilever free end.

Dingomack said:
Q2. At what distance from the fixed end of the beam does the Cmax occur? If my first assumption is correct, this should be a constant.
My following answer applies if the cantilever deflection at the free end (y1max) does not exceed 10 % of the cantilever length (L). Cmax occurs at 42.265 % of L, measured from the fixed end; i.e., Cmax occurs at x = 0.42265*L.

If y1max exceeds 10 % of L, Cmax might still occur at 42.265 % of L, but I currently do not know if it does or not, because I have not checked that case.

Dingomack said:
Q3. For a given Cmax and beam length L, what is the deflection required?
What do you mean by "required"? Did you instead mean, "What is the deflection"? Which deflection? Deflection where, at what point?

Dingomack said:
I need to produce an excel spreadsheet where I can input a desired Cmax and a beam length L, and output the required deflection of the beam, all in millimeters.
What do you mean by "required deflection"?

What is a cantilever spreadsheet?

A cantilever spreadsheet is a type of spreadsheet that is designed specifically for beginners or those with limited experience in using spreadsheets. It typically has a simplified interface and features that make it easier to understand and use compared to other more complex spreadsheet programs.

How is a cantilever spreadsheet different from other spreadsheets?

One major difference is that a cantilever spreadsheet is designed for simplicity and ease of use, while other spreadsheets may have more advanced features and functions. Additionally, a cantilever spreadsheet may have a more streamlined interface and customizable templates that are geared towards specific tasks or industries.

What are some common features of a cantilever spreadsheet?

Some common features of a cantilever spreadsheet may include pre-designed templates, basic calculations and functions, charts and graphs, and a user-friendly interface. It may also have built-in tutorials or help guides to assist users in navigating and understanding the program.

Do I need any prior experience in using spreadsheets to use a cantilever spreadsheet?

No, a cantilever spreadsheet is designed for beginners and does not require any prior experience in using spreadsheets. However, having a basic understanding of spreadsheet concepts and functions can still be helpful in using the program more effectively.

Are cantilever spreadsheets only for personal use or can they be used for professional purposes?

Cantilever spreadsheets can be used for both personal and professional purposes. While they may not have all the advanced features and capabilities of other spreadsheets, they can still be useful for basic tasks and data organization in a professional setting.