Exploring Fracture Types in Metal: Fatigue and Creep

In summary, the most common types of fracture in metal are fatigue and creep. Fatigue is often seen in aluminium frames of aircraft, while creep is evident in coat hangers. Other factors such as brittle and ductile properties also play a role in metal fractures.
rehman_dawoodian
types of fracture in metal

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm inclined to respond with "the chicken crossed the road", but I shan't.

Are you asking a question ? If yes, where is this question from ? If not, what do you wish to achieve in this thread ?

brittle, ductile.

u hav not answr properly i.e.not to the point b ut any way thnx

rehman, like Gokul said (:biggrin: ) could you elaborate a bit, the failure & fracture mechanisms of metals are an immense field of research, we'll be able to help you once we know what you're after.

Fracture

The most prominent fractures in metals are known to be fatigue and creep. Aluminium frames of aircrafts serves as the perfect epitome for fatigue whereas coat hangers' cracks or indeed fractures is a good example of creep. What perennial stated is also perfectly correct. It is you I'm afraid that hasn't asked the question properly!

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between ductile and brittle fractures in metal?

Ductile fractures occur when a metal is able to stretch and deform before breaking, while brittle fractures occur when a metal breaks without significant plastic deformation.

2. What is a fatigue fracture and how does it occur in metal?

A fatigue fracture is a type of fracture that occurs when a metal is subjected to repeated stress over time, causing microscopic cracks to form and eventually lead to failure.

3. Can metals experience both ductile and brittle fractures?

Yes, metals can experience both ductile and brittle fractures depending on the type of stress and conditions they are subjected to.

4. How can the type of fracture in metal be determined?

The type of fracture in metal can be determined by examining the appearance of the fracture surface, as well as conducting mechanical tests and analyzing the material's properties and behavior.

5. What factors can influence the type of fracture in metal?

The type of fracture in metal can be influenced by factors such as the type of loading, temperature, material properties, and the presence of defects or imperfections in the metal.