Building a crumple zone

• Thread starter Frank_Horrigan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the student is trying to create a device that will hold an egg and it must not break. He has a few ideas but is unsure of how to make it work. He is looking for feedback on his ideas.
Frank_Horrigan
For a school project I have to build a device made of only toothpicks and glue gun glue that will hold an egg. The device will be dropped 5 meters and the egg must not break, so the idea is to build a device with a good crumple zone. I have a few ideas about how to build it but its pretty hard to find advice on how they are made, I can only find info on how they work. Oh yea it has to have a mass of 50 g or less, that's a lot of toothpicks.

If someone could comment on my ideas, or suggest different variations it would be great. Here are my ideas.

1. Build a crumple zone where the base is made of squares each connected to a square above them by 4 toothpicks.

2. Same idea as above but use only 2 toothpicks to connect squares (therefore its weaker, which means I can have a longer crumple zone right?)

3. Make the base triangles that are connected to above triangles with 2 toothpicks.

4. Attempt to make it a shape sort of like a blimp? I have my doubts on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

I expect that if the toothpicks are vertical they will not flex or break;
the Energy absorbed will only be in the glue coming undone.

It might be good to connect vertical toothpick posts
to the center of horizontal toothpick beams, so the beams will break.

If the posts are not vertical, but all slanted one direction,
you might be able to change vertical motion into rotational motion.

Hmm well with the vertical thing I've tried it a few times and it seems that the sticks do break. I don't really understand what you mean about rotational motion though, if you think it will help for my project please explain.

I was thinking that I need the structure to be very long and have the impact part break very easily over a long distance right? In this I am trying to create the longest stopping distance with equal force at all moments on the egg I think. So the best way to do this would b to have it reasonably weak but for as long of a time possible. Anyone have ideas how i would do this? or what shape would be the best to use that will break easily?

I rather like Buckminister Fuller's "Octet truss" consisting of tetrahedrons and octahedrons. You should be able to find diagrams if you look on the WWW. I have never actually seen this applied to egg drops, I don't have any emperical data on how well it works.

Some more feedback, after a little bit of fooling around with real toothpicks. The octet truss will probably theoretically be a very strong design, but it will be very hard to build correctly because of the joints.

If you put the joints of your toothpicks together haphazardly, the structure will not be very strong, defeating the purpose of the structure. You have to imagine that you are building on a larger scale, and use good joints.

The joint structre for a octet truss design can have up to 12 beams (toothpicks) meeting at a point, making it a difficult build. I think the best practical approach will be to engineer the structure for the simplest possible joint configuration.

Question 1: What is a crumple zone?

A crumple zone is a structural feature in a vehicle that is designed to absorb and redistribute the energy of a collision, thereby reducing the impact on the occupants inside the vehicle.

Question 2: How does a crumple zone work?

A crumple zone works by allowing the front or rear of the vehicle to deform and absorb the energy of a collision, rather than transferring it directly to the occupants inside. This deformation helps to slow down the vehicle more gradually and reduce the force of impact on the passengers.

Question 3: What materials are used to build a crumple zone?

Crumple zones are typically made of materials that are able to absorb energy through deformation, such as steel, aluminum, and plastic. These materials are chosen for their ability to bend and crumple without breaking, thus dissipating the energy of a collision.

Question 4: How do you test the effectiveness of a crumple zone?

Crumple zones are tested using crash tests, which involve simulating a collision and measuring the impact on the vehicle's structure and its occupants. These tests help scientists and engineers to understand how a crumple zone performs in different types of collisions and make improvements if necessary.

Question 5: Are crumple zones effective in preventing injuries?

Yes, crumple zones have been proven to be effective in reducing the severity of injuries in car accidents. By absorbing and redistributing the energy of a collision, crumple zones help to protect the occupants inside the vehicle and reduce the risk of serious injuries.