Hook's Law: Mass & Streaching Value Calculation

In summary, the mass is attached to a spring that has a constant of 100 N/m. The mass vibrates with a frequency of 2 Hz. The equation that is given to you to solve for the mass has frequency, mass, and the spring constant.
StaticShock
What formula should I use for this question? I'm thinking hook's law, but It doesn't seem to fit.

A mass is attached to a spring that has a constant of 100 N/m. The mass vibrates with a frequency of 2 Hz.

I have to find the value of the mass and how far it streaches. I know I can use hook's law for the streaching part, but I am unsure of how to carry out this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] T = \frac {1}{f} = 2 \pi \sqrt {\frac {m}{k}} [/tex]

Are you sure that's the right one? I mean, it looks as if its finding period not frequency. So wouldn't it be F=1/t= 1/2 pi Sqroot k over m?

that's just the general equation. it's up to you to do the algebra that will give you the value that you want.

well based on some information I found, the square root of the mass over K is equal to the equation of L over g. If all things are reletive then, I should be able to switch it as i would when finding frequency.

Last edited:
However, the second question may not have anything to do with hooke's law at all. It may just be F= 1 over 2pi Sqrt g over L

But I am unsure if g is to be used based on Earth's speed of gravity or if I am on the right track at all.

StaticShock said:
well based on some information I found, the square root of the mass over K is equal to the equation of L over g. If all things are reletive then, I should be able to switch it as i would when finding frequency.

why do you do this? the equation i gave you has frequency, mass, and the spring constant. you know two of these, so just solve for the mass.

1. What is Hook's Law?

Hook's Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting deformation or stretching of that object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of stretching, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. What is the formula for calculating the stretching value in Hook's Law?

The formula for calculating the stretching value in Hook's Law is F = kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the object), and x is the displacement or stretching of the object.

3. How is mass incorporated into Hook's Law calculations?

Mass is not directly incorporated into Hook's Law calculations. However, the weight of an object (which is proportional to its mass) may affect the amount of force applied to an elastic object and therefore impact the stretching value calculated.

4. What are the units for the variables in Hook's Law formula?

The units for force (F) are typically measured in Newtons (N), the units for the spring constant (k) are measured in Newtons per meter (N/m), and the units for displacement (x) are measured in meters (m).

5. Can Hook's Law be applied to all objects?

Hook's Law can be applied to most elastic objects, as long as they remain within their elastic limit. This means that the object can return to its original shape and size after the force is removed. However, some materials, such as rubber, may not follow Hook's Law due to their unique properties.