Can Anyone Help with These RSA Encryption Questions?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to RSA encryption. The first question involves finding the plaintext message from a ciphertext message using a given key and modular inverse. The second question involves showing that a plaintext message can be recovered from three different ciphertext messages encrypted using different moduli. The conversation also provides hints for solving each question.
buzzmath
I'm trying to figure out these two questions

1. I have a ciphertext message produced by RSA encryption with key (e,n)=(5,2881) and I'm trying to find the plain text message of
0504 1874 0347 0515 2088 2356 0736 0468
I found the euler-phi function to be 42*66=2772 and found the modular inverse to be 1109 but I'm having trouble finding C^1109(mod2881) for each block of four. can anyone help with this?

2. I'm trying to show that if the encryption exponent 3 is used for the RSA cryptosystem by 3 different people with different moduli, and a plaintext message P encrypted usin each of their keys can be recovered from the resulting 3 ciphertext messages.
I've set it up to the congruences c_i congruent to P^3(mod n_i), i = 1,2,3 but I'm not really sure where to go from here. can anyone help?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
buzzmath said:
i'm having trouble finding C^1109(mod2881) for each block of four. can anyone help with this?

Use repeated squaring and reduce mod 2881 at each stage. That is find C^2 mod 2881, C^4 mod 2881, C^8 mod 2881, etc. then multiple the appropriate ones to get C^1109, reducing mod 2881 as necessary to keep the numbers small.

buzzmath said:
2. I'm trying to show that if the encryption exponent 3 is used for the RSA cryptosystem by 3 different people with different moduli, and a plaintext message P encrypted usin each of their keys can be recovered from the resulting 3 ciphertext messages.
I've set it up to the congruences c_i congruent to P^3(mod n_i), i = 1,2,3 but I'm not really sure where to go from here. can anyone help?

small hint- P will be less than each n_i. Do you have any way of first recovering P^3?

1. To find the plain text message, you need to calculate each block of four separately using the formula C^d(mod n), where d is the modular inverse and n is the modulus. So for the first block, you would calculate 0504^1109(mod 2881) = 1031. Repeat this for each block and you should get the plain text message.

2. To show that the plaintext message can be recovered, you need to use the Chinese Remainder Theorem. This theorem states that if you have congruences of the form x ≡ a (mod m) and x ≡ b (mod n), where m and n are relatively prime, then the solution is given by x ≡ aM(M^-1)(b-a) (mod mn), where M = n (mod m) and M^-1 is the modular inverse of M (mod mn).

In your case, you have three congruences (c1 ≡ P^3 (mod n1), c2 ≡ P^3 (mod n2), c3 ≡ P^3 (mod n3)) and three different moduli (n1, n2, n3). So you can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem to find the solution for x, which will give you the plaintext message P.

Hope this helps!

1. What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves converting plain text into an unreadable format, known as ciphertext, using mathematical algorithms and keys.

2. How does cryptography work?

Cryptography works by using mathematical algorithms to scramble plain text into ciphertext. The algorithms are designed to be easy to perform in one direction, but difficult to reverse without the correct key. The intended recipient of the message then uses the same key to decipher the ciphertext back into plain text.

3. What is the purpose of cryptography?

The main purpose of cryptography is to ensure confidentiality and security in communication and data storage. It allows for sensitive information to be transmitted or stored in a way that is unreadable to anyone who does not have the correct key. This helps to protect sensitive information from hackers, eavesdroppers, and other malicious actors.

4. What are some common types of cryptography?

Some common types of cryptography include symmetric key cryptography, where the same key is used to encrypt and decrypt the message, and asymmetric key cryptography, where a different key is used for each process. Other types include hash functions, which create a unique digital fingerprint of a message, and quantum cryptography, which uses principles of quantum mechanics to provide secure communication.

5. Is cryptography unbreakable?

No, cryptography is not unbreakable. While the use of strong algorithms and keys can make it very difficult to break, there is always a possibility that a determined hacker or cryptanalyst could find a way to decipher the message. It is important to use strong and up-to-date encryption methods to minimize the risk of a successful attack.