Rising Threat of Zombie Drivers on U.S. Roads

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a report published in the New York Times has highlighted the growing danger of zombie drivers - motorists who are under the influence of the prescription sleeping pill Ambien, and may be sleepwalking and unaware they are driving. Many of these drivers claim to have no memory of getting behind the wheel, and in some cases the drug has been taken incorrectly or combined with other substances. Despite the potential risks, some individuals are taking Ambien during the day to cope with stress, leading to bizarre and dangerous behavior.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Zombie drivers — motorists driving under the influence of the popular prescription sleeping pill Ambien, possibly while sleepwalking and unaware they are doing so — are a rising threat on U.S. roads, according to a report published in the New York Times Wednesday [continued]
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187230,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you imagine waking up and noticing that you are driving??!? O___O

Yikes! When I first read the title, I thought you were going to be saying something about people who are too tired to be driving getting into accidents. But, actually taking a sleeping pill then getting into a car without even realizing it?! That explains the driving of the morning commuters a bit better though. :eek:

Following their arrests, many of the Ambien drivers claim to have no recollection of getting behind the wheel, according to the report. In many of the cases the drug appears to have been taken incorrectly, combined with alcohol or other drugs or taken in overdose quantities; several of the cases suggest, however, that even when the drug is used properly, a sleepwalking side effect may lead to sleep driving, the Times reported.
As long as they're asleep I guess the drug works as advertized.

zoobyshoe said:
As long as they're asleep I guess the drug works as advertized.
:rofl: That's awful...but still funny. :rofl: Hey, I'm sure it already has a warning on the label not to drive or operate heavy machinery, so it's not their fault if people sleepwalk to the car, right? :rolleyes: :zzz:

I can't believe that anyone taking Ambien would accidently drive. I can see them driving and have no memory of it, however. Ambien is some weird stuff, I'm surprised it's legal. It is a strong hallucinogen and memory loss is almost 100% if you do not go to sleep.

Anyone found driving on the stuff needs to be locked up and smacked silly.

I take Ambien due to my severe sleep deprivation and DON'T TAKE AWAY MY AMBIEN! I found out that half of the people in my office take it due to stress. But I realize the side affects and only take it when I am going to bed.

Evo said:
I found out that half of the people in my office take it due to stress. But I realize the side affects and only take it when I am going to bed.
People take it at times other than when they're supposed to be going to bed? Have I missed something? I thought it was a sleep aid. Why would you take it at any other time? The stuff sounds like valium...puts you to sleep and you don't remember anything if you're awake?

Moonbear said:
People take it at times other than when they're supposed to be going to bed? Have I missed something? I thought it was a sleep aid. Why would you take it at any other time? The stuff sounds like valium...puts you to sleep and you don't remember anything if you're awake?
People are idiots, 'nuff said. It's nothing like valium, well maybe valium in huge quantities.

One 10mg tab of Ambien and you will see purple flying worms extending across the room.

Sure the tv commercial shows a bunch of puppies taking it and waking up refreshed. That's why they showed the puppies, right?

Evo said:
People are idiots, 'nuff said. It's nothing like valium, well maybe valium in huge quantities.

One 10mg tab of Ambien and you will see purple flying worms extending across the room.
People are getting prescriptions of this specifically to help them sleep, but taking it during the day instead to stave off stress??

How do they work around all the purple worms?

Evo said:

Sure the tv commercial shows a bunch of puppies taking it and waking up refreshed. That's why they showed the puppies, right?
I just looked into what it is, exactly. It acts at the same receptor as benzodiazepams! The generic name is zolpidem, if anyone is interested in delving further.

I have done something like this but due to stress and lack of sleep, not drugs. I had been pushing as hard as I could for months - working typical 18 hour days, 7 days a week. It seems that one night I came down to my office and worked, perhaps even with live 220 VDC circuits, while asleep.

For some time I found a number of oddities in the circuits being built that were most perplexing, and I found an equipment case assembled, which was most distressing since I KNEW that I had not done that. The first serious clue came when Tsu got up one night about 3AM - I was gone and I don't know where. She assumed that I had gone down to work, but as far as I knew I had fallen asleep on the couch earlier, and woke up there the next morning. Only later did it all make sense.

zoobyshoe said:
People are getting prescriptions of this specifically to help them sleep, but taking it during the day instead to stave off stress??

I don't think they're taking it during the day, although the article doesn't say the time these drivers were on the road. I'm sure the fools decided to drive somewhere and then the Ambien kicked in and they didn't remember getting in the car.

I'm talking about the people in your office.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm talking about the people in your office.
They take it at night to go to sleep. Stress keeps them awake. They don't take it during the day.

zoobyshoe said:

That just sounds insane to me, and their physicians should have their heads examined too for prescribing it. Just a quick search shows me that it's considered a hypnotic...that's certainly not just your run of the mill anxiolytic. It's not helping you to sleep because you're just relaxed and stress-free, it's putting you to sleep because it's knocking you out! Hallucinations are listed as a common side effect, as is memory loss if you don't fall asleep right away. It sounds like it can develop dependence very easily too, and withdrawal symptoms sound pretty bad. Sleep deprivation sounds better than this stuff. :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
I just looked into what it is, exactly. It acts at the same receptor as benzodiazepams! The generic name is zolpidem, if anyone is interested in delving further.
Would this actually act as an hallucinogen as Evo says?

Evo said:
They take it at night to go to sleep. Stress keeps them awake. They don't take it during the day.
Oh, the way you said it, I thought you meant they were taking it during the day to cope with stress. :rofl:

zoobyshoe said:
Would this actually act as an hallucinogen as Evo says?
Sounds like it; it acts on one of the subunits of the GABA-A receptor, which is all over the brain. If you're just randomly activating that receptor everywhere in the brain, it's going to have all sorts of effects. I'm also coming across lists of articles of it being abused as an IV drug, so I'm guessing others have figured out the hallucinogenic part. (I'm not reading them, just scanning titles at the moment to get an overall sense of what issues are being or have been studied related to this drug.)

Edit: hallucinations are definitely listed as a side effect. http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,712%7CAmbien,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
That just sounds insane to me, and their physicians should have their heads examined too for prescribing it. Just a quick search shows me that it's considered a hypnotic...that's certainly not just your run of the mill anxiolytic. It's not helping you to sleep because you're just relaxed and stress-free, it's putting you to sleep because it's knocking you out! Hallucinations are listed as a common side effect, as is memory loss if you don't fall asleep right away. It sounds like it can develop dependence very easily too, and withdrawal symptoms sound pretty bad. Sleep deprivation sounds better than this stuff. :bugeye:
Wow. Explains the sleep-driving. Evo's right: it's surprising it's legal.

The hallucinations go away after continued use, but will reappear if you stop for awhile and then start back up.

The memory loss doesn't stop.

zoobyshoe said:
Wow. Explains the sleep-driving. Evo's right: it's surprising it's legal.
Moonbear's right, it will knock you out, which is what I need, but it wears off in about 3 hours with no side affects, no groginess, and it's physically non-addictive. I've used it for short periods on and off for 8 years. Going for 4 years without it, then needing it periodically. I use it during the week so I can get some sleep so I can function at work, I don't take it on the weekends when I don't need to fall asleep early.

Evo said:
Moonbear's right, it will knock you out, which is what I need, but it wears off in about 3 hours with no side affects, no groginess, and it's physically non-addictive. I've used it for short periods on and off for 8 years. Going for 4 years without it, then needing it periodically. I use it during the week so I can get some sleep so I can function at work, I don't take it on the weekends when I don't need to fall asleep early.
Well, no side effects for you, but there are definitely side-effects listed, including groginess the next day, or a "hung-over" feeling. I'm also coming across case reports of patients developing dependence. From the link I posted in response to Zooby, it sounds like the way you take it is the way it's supposed to be prescribed...occassional use, not regular use. It could be that the dependence develops if you used it every day, long-term.

Moonbear said:
Well, no side effects for you, but there are definitely side-effects listed, including groginess the next day, or a "hung-over" feeling. I'm also coming across case reports of patients developing dependence. From the link I posted in response to Zooby, it sounds like the way you take it is the way it's supposed to be prescribed...occassional use, not regular use. It could be that the dependence develops if you used it every day, long-term.
I'm sure people abuse it and people probably take more than one.

Evo is right. My friend's brother once took a few too many and woke up in a hospital or something under arrest. He learned that he did a bunch of weird things, and punched a cop, etc... He didn't remember any of it.

Wow... My ex used to fall asleep at the wheel but somehow was able to keep going without much effect to her driving than that she would start to decelerate and the car would drift back and forth in the lane a little bit. One night she was driving to the place she had just moved into and I was following in my car. She drove right past her last turn and kept going. I tried waving at her and flashing my lights at her but she didn't respond. I honked my horn. I slowed and she kept going. I pulled up next to her and she never looked over at me. I thought of getting in front of her and slowing to a stop but was afraid that she would run into me. She didn't stop until the street ended in a parking lot and suddenly she was wondering where she was. I was really scared that night especially since we hit every single green light and I wasn't sure if she would have stopped if we hit a red light.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Wow... My ex used to fall asleep at the wheel but somehow was able to keep going without much effect to her driving than that she would start to decelerate and the car would drift back and forth in the lane a little bit. One night she was driving to the place she had just moved into and I was following in my car. She drove right past her last turn and kept going. I tried waving at her and flashing my lights at her but she didn't respond. I honked my horn. I slowed and she kept going. I pulled up next to her and she never looked over at me. I thought of getting in front of her and slowing to a stop but was afraid that she would run into me. She didn't stop until the street ended in a parking lot and suddenly she was wondering where she was. I was really scared that night especially since we hit every single green light and I wasn't sure if she would have stopped if we hit a red light.
Was this from Ambien, or was she a narcoleptic?

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm sorry, but people that knowingly have this problem and still get behind the wheel of a car should be "locked up and smacked silly".

Why would ANYONE in their right mind drive if they know they fall asleep? Can someone give me a rational answer?

Zoob said:
Was this from Ambien, or was she a narcoleptic?
Evo said:
I'm sorry, but people that knowingly have this problem and still get behind the wheel of a car should be "locked up and smacked silly".

Why would ANYONE in their right mind drive if they know they fall asleep? Can someone give me a rational answer?
She wasn't on Ambien and wasn't a narcaleptic.
She actually was quite used to driving long distances between the IE and Orange County on a regular basis commuting to work. That's a two hour or more drive depending on traffic. So it's not like she habitually zonked out behind the wheel. It only occurred when she got behind the wheel and was really tired. As I mentioned she had just moved into a new place, we were driving back and forth between there and her old place (in the Inland Empire) all day and she just became really groggy at the very end of the last trip. There were a couple of other occasions where something similar happened under similar circumstances but she generally tried to always have someone in the car with her if she thought that such a thing might happen.
--edit--
That is if she had someone in the car with her it wouldn't happen. So she was avoiding the issue instead of dragging someone else along for the ride.

TheStatutoryApe said:
She wasn't on Ambien and wasn't a narcaleptic.
She actually was quite used to driving long distances between the IE and Orange County on a regular basis commuting to work. That's a two hour or more drive depending on traffic. So it's not like she habitually zonked out behind the wheel. It only occurred when she got behind the wheel and was really tired. As I mentioned she had just moved into a new place, we were driving back and forth between there and her old place (in the Inland Empire) all day and she just became really groggy at the very end of the last trip. There were a couple of other occasions where something similar happened under similar circumstances but she generally tried to always have someone in the car with her if she thought that such a thing might happen.
Oh, ok. My ex boss was narcoleptic.

Evo said:
They give drivers liscences to narcoleptics?

TheStatutoryApe said:
They give drivers liscences to narcoleptics?
I don't believe they ask for that information when you get a license.

Evo said:
Did he fall asleep at work?

zoobyshoe said:
Did he fall asleep at work?
Constantly. When we had meetings with our VP, I would sit on one side of him and someone else would sit on the other side and we'd take turns kicking him in the shins when his eyes would start to close.

I was in a very important client meeting once and he attended. I was presenting when I noticed the clients were all staring at him. His head was thrown back, his mouth open and he was sound asleep. :redface: I never let him go out with me again.

Evo said:
Constantly. When we had meetings with our VP, I would sit on one side of him and someone else would sit on the other side and we'd take turns kicking him in the shins when his eyes would start to close.

I was in a very important client meeting once and he attended. I was presenting when I noticed the clients were all staring at him. His head was thrown back, his mouth open and he was sound asleep. :redface: I never let him go out with me again.
That's amazing. I don't know anything about it, what causes it. But I gather there's no medication? Caffein pills, maybe?

Evo said:
I don't believe they ask for that information when you get a license.
With people at risk for seizing while driving, their neurologist contacts the DMV directly, himself, and gets them put on a list of people who can't legally drive. If they're seizure-free for a certain amount of time, they can usually get it back, but it's up to the discretion of the neurologist. I would thnk the same would apply with narcolepsy.