Need Help Solving Physics Problem Regarding Green Light

In summary, the equation for calculating the frequency of green light is frequency = speed of light/wavelength, with a wavelength of around 550 nanometers. The human eye perceives green light when the light-sensitive cells in the retina, called cones, are stimulated by light with a wavelength of around 550 nanometers. Green light has a specific wavelength and frequency that distinguishes it from other colors, falling in the middle of the visible light spectrum. Green light interacts with objects by being absorbed, reflected, or transmitted depending on their material and properties. While green light is not inherently harmful to humans, exposure to intense green light can cause eye damage and disrupt our sleep patterns.
tgoot84
hey so I'm having a lot of trouble on this section of physics.
the question I'm on is:
Green light (546nm) strikes a single slit at normal incidence. what width slit will produce a central maximum that is 2.3 cm wide on a screen 1.42m from the slit?

I've been trying to manipulate Wsin(0)=wavelength and y=Ltan(O), but i can't get anything to work.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought maybe I could help, but my physics textbook exploded while I was looking into the details surrounding this question. True story.

Hello there,

It seems like you are on the right track in using the equations Wsin(θ)=λ and y=Ltan(θ) to solve this problem. In order to find the width of the slit, you will need to rearrange these equations to solve for W.

First, let's start with the equation Wsin(θ)=λ. We know that the wavelength (λ) is given as 546 nm, or 5.46 x 10^-7 m. We also know that the angle of incidence (θ) is 0 degrees since the light is hitting the slit at normal incidence. Therefore, we can simplify the equation to Wsin(0)=5.46 x 10^-7 m.

Since sin(0)=0, this means that W x 0 = 5.46 x 10^-7 m. This means that the width of the slit (W) must be 0 in order to produce a central maximum that is 2.3 cm wide on the screen. This does not seem to make sense, so let's try using the second equation, y=Ltan(θ).

We know that the distance from the slit to the screen (L) is given as 1.42 m. We also know that the angle of incidence (θ) is 0 degrees. Therefore, the equation becomes y=1.42 x tan(0).

Since tan(0)=0, this means that y=0. This also does not make sense since the central maximum is supposed to be 2.3 cm wide on the screen.

After reviewing the equations and given values, it seems like there may be a mistake in the question or the given values. The width of the slit cannot be 0 in order to produce a central maximum on the screen. I would recommend double-checking the question and values given, and if you are still having trouble, consult with your teacher or a classmate for further assistance. Keep up the good work in tackling this challenging physics problem!

1. What is the equation for calculating the frequency of green light?

The equation for calculating the frequency of light is frequency = speed of light/wavelength. In the case of green light, the wavelength is typically around 550 nanometers.

2. How does the human eye perceive green light?

The human eye perceives green light when the light-sensitive cells in the retina, called cones, are stimulated by light with a wavelength of around 550 nanometers. This triggers a series of chemical and electrical signals that are processed by the brain, resulting in the perception of green light.

3. What is the difference between green light and other colors?

Green light has a specific wavelength and frequency that distinguishes it from other colors. It falls in the middle of the visible light spectrum, with shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies than red light, and longer wavelengths and lower frequencies than blue light.

4. How does green light interact with objects?

Green light is absorbed, reflected, or transmitted by objects depending on their material and properties. For example, green objects absorb most of the other colors of light and reflect green light, making them appear green to our eyes. Transparent objects may allow green light to pass through them, while opaque objects may block green light from passing through.

5. Can green light be harmful to humans?

Green light is not inherently harmful to humans. However, exposure to intense green light, such as from lasers, can cause damage to the eyes. Additionally, green light can disrupt our sleep patterns if exposed to it at night, as it suppresses the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate our sleep-wake cycle.