What Happens When Space-Time Reaches the Speed of Light?

• Thread starter What Do I Know?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe expanding and accelerating infinitely. The question is raised about what happens when the speed of space-time reaches the speed of light. It is clarified that while the expansion of space-time can occur faster than the speed of light, this does not violate the laws of nature as it is not an object moving through space. The discussion ends with an appreciation for the complexity of the topic.
What Do I Know?
alrighty brainiacs... I love all this stuff but I'm still a newbie. I was watching a show on the Science Channel which stated that our Universe is not only expanding, but accelerating infinitely. Old news, I know. So, a question popped into my head. Maybe this is simple and I just don't get it. Hope I can explain it.

okay.. here goes..

If the Universe (space-time) is accelerating infinitely, what happens when the speed of space-time itself reaches the speed of light, which is in theory the fastest thing going?

Does everything go haywire and start a new big bang? Or can the speed of accelerating space-time actually reach the speed of light at all?

- Joe

Astronomy news on Phys.org
<mindblow>
Spacetime itself can expand "faster than the speed of light" because the expansion isn't a speed. Nothing can go through space faster than light, but spacetime isn't going through itself, it's expanding - different thing, different laws of nature apply. Relative to us, some of the distant galaxies that we can see are "receding faster than light". Actually it isn't their motion, it's the space between us expanding.
</mindblow>

See? I knew I came to the right place. Pretty bizarro stuff. Thanks!

1. What is the relationship between time and light?

The relationship between time and light is that light travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that light travels the same distance in the same amount of time, making it a reliable tool for measuring time.

2. How does time dilation affect the speed of light?

Time dilation, a phenomenon predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, states that time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds. However, this does not affect the speed of light. No matter the observer's frame of reference or the object's speed, light always travels at the same speed.

3. Can time travel be achieved by traveling at the speed of light?

No, traveling at the speed of light does not allow for time travel. According to the theory of relativity, an object traveling at the speed of light would experience time dilation, meaning time would slow down for the object but continue at the same rate for everything else. This would not allow for travel to the past or future.

4. How does the speed of light affect our perception of time?

As humans, our perception of time is relative and affected by various factors, including the speed of light. For example, the closer an object moves to the speed of light, the slower time will appear to pass for that object compared to a stationary observer. However, this effect is only noticeable at extremely high speeds and does not significantly impact our daily lives.

5. Is there a maximum speed limit for light?

Yes, the speed of light, also known as the speed of causality, is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. No known object can surpass this speed, making it the ultimate speed limit in the universe.