Who Can Resist the Adorable Kittens on The Daily Kitten?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Her name is Puffy.In summary, this site is so precious! MIH, Ivan & Tsu, I know you'll appreciate this. Go to "kitten war", although the entire site is adorable.
Danger said:
Larkspur, is that a fishing lure she's playing with? Gave her something that scratches back to teach her a lesson? :biggrin:

:rofl: No, it is just a feather and a stuffed furry mouse.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are so cute!
That expression on the cat with the monkey is priceless.:biggrin:

Jack the cat chases black bear up tree

WEST MILFORD, N.J. - A black bear picked the wrong yard for a jaunt, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree — twice.

Jack, a 15-pound orange and white cat, keeps a close vigil on his property, often chasing small animals, but his owners and neighbors say his latest escapade was surprising.

"We used to joke, 'Jack's on duty,' never knowing he'd go after a bear," owner Donna Dickey told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Friday's editions.

Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti first spotted Jack's accomplishment after her husband saw a bear climb a tree on the edge of their northern New Jersey property on Sunday. Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat.

After about 15 minutes, the bear descended and tried to run away, but Jack chased it up another tree.

Dickey, who feared for her cat, then called Jack home and the bear scurried back to the woods.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060610/ap_on_fe_st/cat_scares_bear

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's priceless. :rofl:

Astronuc said:
Jack the cat chases black bear up tree
:rofl: Astro, that's one of the funniest things that I've seen in ages. Thanks.
It also brings to mind the possibility that black bears are inherently cowards. When my uncle John was 83, they were having a family picnic and a black bear wandered up to the table. John (an ex-auctioneer and square-dance caller) let out the loudest bellow that he could manage and punched it in the snout. The bear whimpered and ran away. As John later explained, 'There's no way that damned thing was going to take my fried chicken.' :biggrin:

Danger said:
It also brings to mind the possibility that black bears are inherently cowards.
That cat was really scary and mean. :frown: Us bears just have a bad reputation.

Greatest misconception: The greatest misconception about black bears is that they are likely to attack people in defense of cubs. They are highly unlikely to do this. Black bear researchers often capture screaming cubs in the presence of bluff-charging mothers with no attacks. Defense of cubs is a grizzly bear trait. About 70 percent of human deaths from grizzly bears are from mothers defending cubs, but black bear mothers have not been known to kill anyone in defense of cubs.
http://www.bear.org/Black/Black_Bear_Facts.html

Give me a fork and I'll eat the whole lot of them.

Bladibla said:
Give me a fork and I'll eat the whole lot of them.
Furburgers? That's one thing that I appreciate about W; lunch comes with its own dental floss. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Furburgers? That's one thing that I appreciate about W; lunch comes with its own dental floss. :biggrin:

I eat with fork
Stomach acid strong enough for fur
digest kitties 300 of them a second

:uhh: I believe that I just witnessed another 'zoom' factor at work...

Awwww those pictures are so cute. I think I will being going down to the humane society within the next couple of days to adopt a cat, either a kitten or full grown one, not sure which yet. I can't wait.

Greatest misconception: The greatest misconception about black bears is that they are likely to attack people in defense of cubs. They are highly unlikely to do this. Black bear researchers often capture screaming cubs in the presence of bluff-charging mothers with no attacks. Defense of cubs is a grizzly bear trait. About 70 percent of human deaths from grizzly bears are from mothers defending cubs, but black bear mothers have not been known to kill anyone in defense of cubs.
I am not so sure about this. I saw a program a year or two ago, where people described being attacked by black bears. One was a woman, who was attacked by a female black bear with cubs. The woman and her daughter were severely mauled. Another story invovled a guy who was 'stalked' by a black bear. He ultimately jumped into a lake and dove underwater. The bear came into the water near the shore, but didn't go too far into deep water. These incidents were both in Canada.

Apparently in the fall, when the bears are eating and putting on fat for winter, even black bears can be dangerous.

Astronuc said:
I am not so sure about this. I saw a program a year or two ago, where people described being attacked by black bears. One was a woman, who was attacked by a female black bear with cubs. The woman and her daughter were severely mauled. Another story invovled a guy who was 'stalked' by a black bear. He ultimately jumped into a lake and dove underwater. The bear came into the water near the shore, but didn't go too far into deep water. These incidents were both in Canada.

Apparently in the fall, when the bears are eating and putting on fat for winter, even black bears can be dangerous.

I know someone who works flying choppers to remote oil lease sites up in northern Alberta and he has to carry a shotgun with him whenever he leaves the chopper because there are bears everywhere. He said he has had them charge at him more than once, apparently one time he was only just able to take off before it got to close and the bear was pawing at the bottom of the chopper as he rose up. Usually he said they keep their distance, but not always.

edit: i should mention that this has happened with both black and grizzely bears and apparently at all times of the year.

Since bears as a general rule don't have a great education in aeronautics, it's possible that they consider the chopper itself to be some enormous bird that's challenging their food supply. If that's the case, then attack would be a natural territorial response.

Last edited:
For anyone in need of cuteness

Cat Specific
"www.kittenwar.com"[/URL]
[PLAIN]"www.catsinsinks.com"[/URL]
[PLAIN]"www.stuffonmycat.com"[/URL]

General Cuteness
[PLAIN]"www.cuteoverload.com"[/URL]
[PLAIN]"www.babyanimalz.com"[/URL]

scorpa said:
3 months old, hasn't stopped purring since he got home.
er..Judging by that photo, I think that might actually be growling.:biggrin:

Just kidding! That's a very nice looking little tabby. What are you going to name him?

haha he doesn't have a name yet, I'm still thinking of something so suggestions are welcome, i'll post a better pic later

Even "napping" he has an "up to no good" look to him. I think he's going to be a trouble-maker. So, just to keep him from getting too uppity, I think you should name him...Mouse. :biggrin:

scorpa said:
haha he doesn't have a name yet, I'm still thinking of something so suggestions are welcome
Considering the way his hair is standing up, I would name him van de Graaff.

MoonB said:
I think you should name him...Mouse.
larkspur said:
AWWW. He looks sweet!
Let see,... sweet names...Kayro, Splenda, Zinfandel,Chambord, Chianti, Gallo, Molassis, Moe,Sugarcane, Cane, Kane,...hmmmm.
Danger said:
Considering the way his hair is standing up, I would name him van de Graaff.

All great suggestions, because you know..
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

-T.S. Eliot

My cats tend to have very T.S. Eliot names: e.g. Maya Papaya and Jellyroll Jambalaya. And like most cats, they earned a host of nicknames that they went by at one time or another. T.S. Eliot was very astute to notice the need for these. My kitty Maya was also "Maimai", "Sophie", "Mama Kitty", and "Flower". Jellyroll is "Schnoonchkin", "Baby Sheep", "Bird", and "Percolator". Something about cats seems to make them very nickname-able. Maybe because they don't complain about it. :smile:

My little tabby boy was called Romeo (most of the time anyway). He was such a little love-bug. I think tabbies are an exceptionally sweet breed. Darn good mousers, too!

Last edited:
My brother owns a watch and clock repair store. He just adopted two tiny black kittens to run loose in the store. He named them Tic and Tock.:smile:

larkspur said:
My brother owns a watch and clock repair store. He just adopted two tiny black kittens to run loose in the store. He named them Tic and Tock.:smile:
Way cool! :smile: