Burning Your Tongue: What's Really Going On?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: I love it, but sometimes forget to be careful. It's a little spicy, but not too bad.In summary, when you burn your tongue, you damage the cells in your tongue, and this releases enzymes that alert repair systems. One of the systems is the lymph system that floods the area and cells with fluid, causing the swelling. The swelling and engorged cells are much of the feeling that lasts from a burned tongue.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So what exactly is the scientific definition of "burning your tongue"? I hate this, i wish we could evolve to eat food 800 degrees F. But no really, what exactly is going on when you burn your tongue?

Biology news on Phys.org
Are you talking about actual thermal burning, or spicy burning?

Amongst other things:

You damage the cells in your tongue, causing some of them to burst. This releases enzymes that alert repair systems. Oneof the systems is the lymph system that floods the area and cells with fluid, causing the swelling. The swelling and engorged cells are much of the feeling that lasts from a burned tongue.

The one dave is talking about. Thanks for the info

As an aside, I am beginning to recognize Pengwuino's posts by subject alone. As soon as I read 'burning my tongue' I thought 'that sounds like a Pengwuino post'.

P.S. You should not put something in your mouth that is 800F.

P.P.S. Note that cooking substitutions can produce unpredictable results: 20min. @ 200F is not the same as 5min. @ 800F.

Last edited:
Yah and things like "Why did i run into the wall?" sounds like pure fish babble!

DaveC426913 said:
As an aside, I am beginning to recognize Pengwuino's posts by subject alone. As soon as I read 'burning my tongue' I thought 'that sounds like a Pengwuino post'.
:rofl:

Molten cheese is the worst. :frown:

Moonbear said:
Molten cheese is the worst. :frown:

This is because cheese has a fairly high heat capacity.

The amount of heat energy [itex]Q[/itex] added to substance of mass [itex]m[/itex] that undergoes is a temperature change [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is [itex]Q = c m \Delta T[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is the substance's (specific) heat capacity.

Cake has a lower heat capacity than cheese and grease (from the pepperoni), so if cake and pizza are both sampled fresh out of the same oven, the pizza does more damage, since it has the capacity to supply more energy to the tongue and mouth.

As we experience life, we continually "do the experiment" (as I will on Wednesday night while watching the hockey game), and we build up a storehouse of information about heat capacities (and other things) that becomes part of our intuition of how to eat.

Last edited:
...As we experience life, we continually "do the experiment" (as I will on Wednesday night while watching the hockey game), and we build up a storehouse of information about heat capacities (and other things) that becomes part of our intuition of how to eat.
:biggrin:
Such an expression always helps me find the funs for myself, which is why I am pretty much spending time around on board like this..:-)

Once, in a restaurant I ate a "cheese dream" (tomato on cheese on toast). It was so scalding hot, I burned my lip and tongue, and in the process, dragged the tomato slice off the bread, landing on the back of my hand.

It burned me so badly, I had a tomato-slice-shaped red mark on the back of my hand for days.

George Jones said:
This is because cheese has a fairly high heat capacity.

The amount of heat energy [itex]Q[/itex] added to substance of mass [itex]m[/itex] that undergoes is a temperature change [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is [itex]Q = c m \Delta T[/itex], where [itex]c[/itex] is the substance's (specific) heat capacity.

Cake has a lower heat capacity than cheese and grease (from the pepperoni), so if cake and pizza are both sampled fresh out of the same oven, the pizza does more damage, since it has the capacity to supply more energy to the tongue and mouth.

As we experience life, we continually "do the experiment" (as I will on Wednesday night while watching the hockey game), and we build up a storehouse of information about heat capacities (and other things) that becomes part of our intuition of how to eat.
Gotta love it when even eating pizza turns into a physics lesson around here. :biggrin:

So what sorts of foods should we be more careful eating when hot?
Foods with high fat content: (cheese, milk & cream, bacon, BBQ'd ribs)
I've also noticed foods with high starch content tend to have a higher heat capacity (potato, sweet corn, squash; hot porridge:hominy,oats,wheat). Even tomato holds heat quite a while. (I've scalded my mouth a few times on tomato soup)

Ouabache said:
I've also noticed foods with high starch content tend to have a higher heat capacity

Khichuri often gets me.

1. What causes the burning sensation on the tongue?

The burning sensation on the tongue can be caused by a variety of factors such as eating spicy or acidic foods, consuming hot beverages, or using certain medications. It can also be a symptom of an underlying medical condition such as oral thrush or burning mouth syndrome.

2. How long does it take for a burnt tongue to heal?

The healing time for a burnt tongue depends on the severity of the burn. In most cases, the sensation will subside within a few days. However, if the burn is more severe, it may take up to two weeks for the tongue to fully heal.

3. What are some home remedies for a burnt tongue?

Some common home remedies for a burnt tongue include drinking cold water or milk, sucking on ice chips, applying honey or aloe vera gel to the affected area, and rinsing with a saltwater solution. These remedies can help soothe the burning sensation and promote healing.

4. Is it normal to experience numbness after burning your tongue?

Yes, it is normal to experience numbness after burning your tongue. This is because the burn may have damaged the nerve endings on the tongue, causing temporary numbness. The sensation should return once the tongue has fully healed.

5. When should I see a doctor for a burnt tongue?

If you experience severe pain, swelling, or difficulty swallowing after burning your tongue, it is recommended to see a doctor. Additionally, if the burning sensation persists for more than two weeks or is accompanied by other symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.