Converting Degrees to Radians in Excel

In summary, to convert degrees to radians in Excel, you can use the RADIANS function which takes in a value in degrees and converts it to radians. The formula for converting degrees to radians is: radians = degrees * (pi/180). You can convert multiple degrees to radians at once in Excel by using the RADIANS function in an array formula. To change the number of decimal places for the radians values, you can use the ROUND function. And finally, to convert radians to degrees in Excel, you can use the DEGREES function.
DM
Hello everyone,

I need help with converting or changing degrees to radians in Microsoft Excel.

Currently I'm writing SIN and COS functions but the default angles are in degrees, not radians. How do I format it to radians?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Excel has a RADIANS function. The syntax is =RADIANS(angle).

You may want to check your answers because the default on my copy of Excel is in radians.

To get to radians from degrees:

[tex] x = \pi \frac { \Theta} {180} [/tex]

x is the angle in radians
[itex] \Theta [/itex] is the angle in degrees.

As far as I can tell Excell defaults to Radians.

Last edited:

1. How do I convert degrees to radians in Excel?

To convert degrees to radians in Excel, you can use the RADIANS function. This function takes in a value in degrees and converts it to radians. For example, to convert 45 degrees to radians, you would use the formula =RADIANS(45), which would return approximately 0.785 radians.

2. What is the formula for converting degrees to radians?

The formula for converting degrees to radians is: radians = degrees * (pi/180). This formula takes the value in degrees and multiplies it by the conversion factor of pi/180 to get the equivalent value in radians.

3. Can I convert multiple degrees to radians at once in Excel?

Yes, you can convert multiple degrees to radians at once in Excel by using the RADIANS function in an array formula. First, select the cells where you want the converted values to appear. Then, type in the formula =RADIANS(A1:A10) and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to enter it as an array formula. This will convert the values in cells A1 to A10 from degrees to radians.

4. How do I change the number of decimal places for the radians values?

To change the number of decimal places for the radians values, you can use the ROUND function. For example, if you want the radians values to have 2 decimal places, you can use the formula =ROUND(RADIANS(A1),2). This will round the radians value in cell A1 to 2 decimal places.

5. Can I convert radians to degrees in Excel?

Yes, you can convert radians to degrees in Excel by using the DEGREES function. This function takes in a value in radians and converts it to degrees. For example, to convert 0.785 radians to degrees, you would use the formula =DEGREES(0.785), which would return approximately 45 degrees.