What is the most commonly used scale of sharpness?

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
Sharpness is commonly measured on a scale, with higher numbers representing sharper edges. There are also various factors to consider, such as the durability of the edge. There are webpages available with examples of comparative sharpness for various items.
Adam
What is the most commonly used scale of sharpness? Does anyone know a webpage with examples of the comparitive sharpness of various things?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sharp as in like a knife? I've never heard of one, but I'd imagine the best way to compare would be by the width of the edge.

Originally posted by Adam
What is the most commonly used scale of sharpness? Does anyone know a webpage with examples of the comparitive sharpness of various things?

This is an interesting question.
As the width of the leading-edge would determine a degree of sharpness(as russ keenly pointed-out), I would imagine that the factor of edge-hardness or application durability would likewise be a key factor.
Given that, I would suppose that sharpness is relative.
For example, a "sharp knife" is only "sharp" if it cuts that which it contacts; in this sense of the term.
So, a "knife" which has a much finer leading-edge width but far less durability might well do little "cutting" and perhaps not even go through a stick of butter. Would this not be considered "less sharp"?
Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by pallidin
(as russ keenly pointed-out)
:P

1. What is the most commonly used scale of sharpness?

The most commonly used scale of sharpness is the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) scale. It is also known as the ISO standard or ISO scale.

2. How does the ISO scale measure sharpness?

The ISO scale measures sharpness by assigning a numerical value to the amount of detail or resolution captured by a camera or lens. The higher the ISO number, the sharper the image will be.

3. What is the range of the ISO scale?

The ISO scale typically ranges from 100 to 6400, with higher numbers representing higher levels of sharpness. However, some cameras and lenses may have extended ISO ranges that go beyond 6400.

4. Why is the ISO scale used for measuring sharpness?

The ISO scale is used because it provides a standardized and objective way to measure sharpness. This allows photographers and scientists to compare the sharpness of images captured with different cameras or lenses.

5. Are there other scales used for measuring sharpness?

Yes, there are other scales used for measuring sharpness, such as the Modulation Transfer Function (MTF) scale and the Sharpness Rating scale. However, the ISO scale is the most commonly used and recognized scale in the photography and scientific communities.