Australia Builds World's Tallest Solar Power Tower

In summary, Australia is making progress towards constructing the world's tallest structure, a 1000-metre solar electricity plant, as experts confirm its viability. The company behind the project has faced skepticism, with some questioning its legitimacy. However, smaller versions of the tower in Spain have proven successful. Additionally, NASA's report has suggested that a space elevator could be built today if someone could fund it.
Adam
AUSTRALIA took a step towards building the world's tallest structure, a solar electricity plant measuring 1000 metres, as experts reported that it would be commercially viable.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8580880%255E13762,00.html
Looks like it is getting closer to being built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10454&perpage=12&pagenumber=3 thread on the subject? I'm completely convinced the company is a scam.

The smaller versions of this tower in Spain function quite fine.

Originally posted by Adam
The smaller versions of this tower in Spain function quite fine.
I didn't say it couldn't work, I just said that company isn't going to build a 1km tower in Australia.

I should also mention that NASA's huge report into the possibility of a space elevator suggested (if I recall correctly) that we could do it today, without materials and methods, if someone could pay for it.

What is a solar power tower?

A solar power tower is a type of solar thermal power plant that uses a central receiver to collect and concentrate solar energy. The concentrated sunlight is then used to heat a fluid, typically water or molten salt, which produces steam to drive a turbine and generate electricity.

How tall is the solar power tower in Australia?

The solar power tower in Australia, known as the Aurora Solar Energy Project, will be 270 meters tall. This makes it the tallest solar power tower in the world, surpassing the previous record holder, the 250-meter-tall SolarReserve facility in Nevada, USA.

Where is the solar power tower being built in Australia?

The solar power tower is being built in Port Augusta, South Australia. This location was chosen due to its high levels of solar irradiance and the availability of land for the project.

How much energy will the solar power tower generate?

The Aurora Solar Energy Project is expected to generate 150 megawatts of electricity, which is enough to power approximately 90,000 homes. This will also help to reduce carbon emissions by 200,000 tonnes per year.

When will the solar power tower in Australia be completed?

The construction of the solar power tower is expected to be completed in 2021, with the plant being fully operational by 2022. However, the project has faced some delays and setbacks, so the timeline may change.