Foot Contact Time: Resources & Info

In summary, the conversation discusses the contact time of a foot with a football during a punt or field goal. The participants mention that it is difficult to find resources on this specific topic, but suggest that the theory of elasticity may provide the most accurate answer. They also mention their own experiences and observations, estimating that the contact time is likely between a quarter and half a second.
lawtonfogle
Does anyone have resources for how long a foot is in contact with a football. Numbers I have found, but video or set of pictures with time on it would help.

Please and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually real contact time can only be given by the theory of elasticity.

Well I was punter in high school, and I'm guessing it's around a fourth of a second during a punt. But that's just a guess.

I remember seeing a set of photos of a field goal kicker. It showed the foot compressing into the football to about the center of the football (about 1/2 it's diameter). I can't find the site, and I don't know the duration of this.

All I could figure out about it is that the football will contact in a punt less than in a field goal. But I am pretty sure for a punt it would have to be between a quarter of a second and a half a second, any more than that and the football will not pop up into the air and it would take more energy to get it in the air.

1. What is foot contact time?

Foot contact time is the duration of time that a person's foot is in contact with the ground during a movement or activity, such as running or jumping. It is an important measure in analyzing and improving athletic performance.

2. How is foot contact time measured?

Foot contact time can be measured using specialized equipment, such as force plates or high-speed cameras. These tools capture the movement of the foot and calculate the duration of contact with the ground. There are also wearable devices, such as fitness trackers, that can estimate foot contact time based on the acceleration and movement patterns of the foot.

3. What factors can affect foot contact time?

There are several factors that can affect foot contact time, including an individual's fitness level, muscle strength and coordination, footwear, and surface type. The speed and intensity of the movement being performed can also impact foot contact time.

4. How can foot contact time be improved?

Foot contact time can be improved through targeted training and exercises that focus on improving muscle strength, coordination, and balance. Wearing proper footwear and choosing appropriate surfaces for activities can also help optimize foot contact time. Additionally, working with a coach or trainer who can provide feedback and guidance can also be beneficial in improving foot contact time.

5. Is there a recommended foot contact time for optimal performance?

There is no specific recommended foot contact time for optimal performance, as it can vary based on the individual and the activity being performed. However, in general, shorter foot contact times are associated with better performance, as it allows for quicker and more efficient movement.