Inequality Proof: Proving a(b+c) < 1/sqrt(2)

In summary, to prove that a(b+c) < [1/sqrt(2)] for all positive real values of a, b, and c satisfying a²+b²+c²=1, one can use the trigonometric substitutions a = sin(x), b = cos(x)sin(y), and c = cos(x)cos(y) and then simplify the expression to (1/2)sin(2x)[sin(y)+cos(y)]. This can then be shown to have a maximum value of 1/sqrt(2) by finding the appropriate values for C and B in the form Csin(y+p) and using the constraint given. Other methods, such as the Lagrange Multiplier method, can also be used
siddharthmishra19
1. The Problem

For all positive real values of a,b and c such that a²+b²+c²=1, prove that
a(b+c) < [1/sqrt(2)]

2. My Attempt...

There are probably numerous ways to solve this, but i tried this way...

let a = sin(x)
b = cos(x)sin(y)
c = cos(x)cos(y)

a²+b²+c² = sin²(x)+cos²(x)[sin²(y)+cos²(y)] = 1
This satisfies the above

so a(b+c) = sin(x)cos(x)[sin(y)+cos(y)]
=(1/2)sin2(x)[sin(y)+cos(y)]...

I am sure you can somehow prove that the max value of the give is less than than the value given in the question i.e. 1/sqrt(2)...

I would appreciate any help... with any other methods.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write sin(y) + cos(y) in the form A sin(y+p).

AlephZero said:
Write sin(y) + cos(y) in the form A sin(y+p).

Sorry I'm quite weak in trigonometry... could you elaborate?

Csin(y+ B)= Csin(y)cos(B)+ Ccos(y)sin(B) = C cos(B)sin(y)+ C sin(B)cos(y)

You want to find C and B so that C cos(B)= 1 and C sin(B)= 1. Of course, then C2cos2(B)+ C2sin2(B)= C2= 1+ 1= 2. That is, [itex]C= \sqrt{2}[/itex] so that C cos(B)= 1 becomes [itex]\sqrt{2}cos(B)= 1[/itex] and
[tex]cos(B)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Any other simpler methods?

Your method looks pretty simple.

The "plug and pray" method would be to find the extreme values of f(a,b,c) = a(b+c) with the constraint g(a,b,c) = a^2+b^2+c^2 =1 using the Lagrange Multiplier method.

Personally I think your way is neater for this problem.

1. What is the purpose of proving a inequality statement?

The purpose of proving an inequality statement is to show that a certain mathematical relationship between two or more quantities is always true. In this case, we are trying to prove that a(b+c) is always less than 1/sqrt(2).

2. How is the proof of this inequality statement conducted?

The proof of this inequality statement involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to manipulate the given expression and arrive at a valid conclusion. This may involve using algebraic manipulations, properties of inequalities, and other mathematical concepts.

3. Why is it important to prove this inequality statement?

Proving this inequality statement is important because it allows us to have a better understanding of the relationship between the quantities involved. It also helps to establish the validity of the statement and provides a solid foundation for further mathematical reasoning and applications.

4. Can this proof be generalized to other similar inequality statements?

Yes, this proof can be generalized to other similar inequality statements as long as the mathematical relationships involved are similar. However, the specific techniques used in the proof may vary depending on the specific statement being proved.

5. How can this proof be applied in real-world situations?

This proof can be applied in various real-world situations where the quantities involved have a similar relationship as the one stated in the inequality. For example, it can be used in economic or financial analysis to prove inequalities between different variables, or in scientific research to show relationships between physical quantities.