Calculating Tank Velocity and Stopping Time Due to Rain Drops

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank Water
In summary, the tank will move when the x-component of its momentum exceeds the static friction force on the tank, which is initially at rest \mu_sMg. The condition for this is \frac{dp_x}{dt} > \mu_sMg, which can be rewritten in terms of Q, V, and \alpha. The rain drops continuously add mass to the tank, causing an increase in the dynamic friction force \mu_k(M+Qt)g. The equation of motion for the tank is \mu_k(M(t)g+QVsin(\alpha))=Q(Vcos(\alpha)-v_x)+M(t)\frac{dv}{dt}, where M(t) = M + Qt. On a horizontal
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Problem stated
A tank (which its area of its corners is negligble) with mass M, moves on a surface with coefficients of friction between the surface and the tank [tex] \mu_{s} \mu_{k}[/tex] (static and kinetic).Rain drops are dropping on the tank with angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] with speed V, the water comes to the tank with constant dm/dt=Q, in t=0 the tank is at rest.
1.what is the condition that the tank will move from its initial place?
2.assume the codnition in 1 is satisfied find the velocity of the tank as a function of time?
3.how much time will elapse until the tank is stopped?

attempt at solution
1. I think the condition is that: [tex]\frac{dp_x}{dt}=\mu_kMg[/tex]
and [tex]\frac{dp_y}{dt}=0[/tex]
2. now when i open these terms i get: [tex]Q*(Vcos(\alpha)-v_x)+(M+Qt)\frac{dv_x}{dt}=\mu_kMg;-Q(Vsin(\alpha)-v_y)+(M+Qt)\frac{dv_y}{dt}=0[/tex] now after integration i get that:
[tex]v_y=(Vsin(\alpha))*(1-(Qt+M)/M);v_x=\frac{(\mu_kMg+QVcos(\alpha))(1-M/(M+Qt))}{Q}[/tex] but i don't see how to get from this when will the tank stop, according to these equations i get that it will not stop, so i guess something is wrong in my reasoning, any hints ,tips, encouragements, are welcomed. (-:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
loop quantum gravity said:
Problem stated
A tank (which its area of its corners is negligble) with mass M, moves on a surface with coefficients of friction between the surface and the tank [tex] \mu_{s} \mu_{k}[/tex] (static and kinetic).Rain drops are dropping on the tank with angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] with speed V, the water comes to the tank with constant dm/dt=Q, in t=0 the tank is at rest.
1.what is the condition that the tank will move from its initial place?
2.assume the codnition in 1 is satisfied find the velocity of the tank as a function of time?
3.how much time will elapse until the tank is stopped?

attempt at solution
1. I think the condition is that: [tex]\frac{dp_x}{dt}=\mu_kMg[/tex]
and [tex]\frac{dp_y}{dt}=0[/tex]
2. now when i open these terms i get: [tex]Q*(Vcos(\alpha)-v_x)+(M+Qt)\frac{dv_x}{dt}=\mu_kMg;-Q(Vsin(\alpha)-v_y)+(M+Qt)\frac{dv_y}{dt}=0[/tex] now after integration i get that:
[tex]v_y=(Vsin(\alpha))*(1-(Qt+M)/M);v_x=\frac{(\mu_kMg+QVcos(\alpha))(1-M/(M+Qt))}{Q}[/tex] but i don't see how to get from this when will the tank stop, according to these equations i get that it will not stop, so i guess something is wrong in my reasoning, any hints ,tips, encouragements, are welcomed. (-:

The tank will move when the x-component of the momentum exceeds the static friction force on the tank, which is initially at rest [tex]\mu_sMg[/tex].

[tex]\frac{dp_x}{dt} > \mu_sMg[/tex] and one must find that in terms of Q, V and [itex]\alpha[/itex]

Then as it rains 'constantly', the applied force is constant (verify this), BUT the tank is accumulating mass at a rate Q.

Then as the tank accumulates mass, the dynamic friction force is increasing
[tex]\mu_k(M+Qt)g[/tex]

you mean greater or equals.
so the equation should be, for the change in momentum in the x direction instead of [tex]\mu_kMg[/tex] it should be [tex]\mu_k(M+{Qt)g[/tex], correct?
btw, what with the change of momentum in the y direction? because of the y component of the speed of the rain drops?

you mean greater or equals.
so the equation should be, for the change in momentum in the x direction
In the case of starting to move, the force applied must be greater than the static friction force. If the equal to the friction force, the tank still does not move.

instead of [tex]\mu_kMg[/tex] it should be [tex]\mu_k(M+Qt)g[/tex], correct?
M(t) = M + Qt, so apply M(t) where appropriate.

Starting at rest, M(t) = M.

btw, what with the change of momentum in the y direction? because of the y component of the speed of the rain drops?
Oviously, he momentum of the tank does not change in the y-direction, but the momentum imparted by the rain does produce a vertical force on the tank, which would be as one treats the weight with respect to friction.

so it should be dp_y/dt=M(t)g?

so it should be dp_y/dt=M(t)g?
No, the tank does not gain momentum in the y-direction, assuming it is on a level (horizontal) surface. The rain imparts a constant force related to QV, where Q = dm/dt. So the normal force on the tank is (M(t) + QV)g to which friction is proportional.

On a horizontal surface vy of the tank is zero.

so what is the equation of motion?
shouldn't it be: (M(t)g+QV)?
so the equation of motion should be something like this:
[tex]\mu_k(M(t)g+QVsin(\alpha))=Q(Vcos(\alpha)-v_x)+M(t)\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] where [tex]M(t)=M0+Qt[/tex], correct or wrong again?

What is the formula for calculating tank velocity due to rain drops?

The formula for calculating tank velocity due to rain drops is V = √(2gh), where V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the tank.

How do rain drops affect the stopping time of a tank?

Rain drops can increase the stopping time of a tank due to the additional force they exert on the tank's surface. This force creates a drag, slowing down the tank's movement and increasing its stopping time.

Can the velocity of a tank due to rain drops be measured in different units?

Yes, the velocity of a tank due to rain drops can be measured in different units such as meters per second, feet per second, or miles per hour. It is important to use the appropriate units in the calculation to ensure accuracy.

How can I estimate the velocity of a tank if I do not know the height of the tank?

If you do not know the height of the tank, you can estimate the velocity by using the average height of tanks in your area. You can also consult with engineers or use data from similar tanks to make an educated estimate.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating tank velocity and stopping time due to rain drops?

The accuracy of these calculations can be affected by several factors such as the shape and size of the tank, the intensity of the rain, and the surface properties of the tank. Additionally, external factors such as wind speed and direction can also impact the accuracy of the calculations.