Calculating Micrometer Reading Change for 50 Fringes at λ = 550 nm

In summary, the problem involves finding the change in micrometer reading during the movement of M2 that generates the passage of 50 fringes, given a calibration constant of 0.5 and a wavelength of 550 nm for the light. The equations used are possibly delta(l)= delta(n)*lambda /2 and delta(m)= delta(l)/K, with a resulting change in micrometer reading of 27500 nm. This problem may be from the textbook Modern Physics for Engineers.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Suppose the calibration constant of your spectrometer is 0.5, and suppose the wavelength of the light is λ = 550 nm. How much does the micrometer reading change during the movement of M2 that generates the passage of 50 fringes?

Homework Equations

possibly delta(l)= delta(n)*lambda /2
delta(m)= delta(l)/K , K being some constant to find the distance

The Attempt at a Solution

possibly delta(l)=50* 550 nm/ 2 delta(m)= delta(l)/K = 13750 nm/(.5) =27500 nm

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the calibration constant of your spectrometer is 0.5, and suppose the wavelength of the light is λ = 550 nm. How much does the micrometer reading change during the movement of M2 that generates the passage of 50 fringes?

Homework Equations

possibly delta(l)= delta(n)*lambda /2
delta(m)= delta(l)/K , K being some constant to find the distance

The Attempt at a Solution

possibly delta(l)=50* 550 nm/ 2 delta(m)= delta(l)/K = 13750 nm/(.5) =27500 nm

Is this from Modern Physics for Engineers? I have seen this problem before. When I get home in about an hour or two I'll try to digg up the answer.

Thank you for your question. Based on the information given, it seems that you are trying to calculate the change in micrometer reading for the movement of M2 that generates 50 fringes at a wavelength of 550 nm. To do this, you can use the equation delta(l) = delta(n)*lambda/2, where delta(l) is the change in micrometer reading, delta(n) is the number of fringes, and lambda is the wavelength of the light.

In this case, delta(n) = 50 and lambda = 550 nm, so delta(l) = 50 * 550 nm / 2 = 13750 nm. This is the change in micrometer reading that corresponds to 50 fringes at a wavelength of 550 nm.

However, it is also mentioned that the spectrometer has a calibration constant of 0.5. This means that the micrometer reading needs to be divided by this constant to get the actual distance in micrometers. So, the final answer would be delta(l) = 13750 nm / 0.5 = 27500 nm, which is the change in micrometer reading for the movement of M2 that generates 50 fringes.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. How do I calculate the micrometer reading change for 50 fringes at a wavelength of 550 nm?

To calculate the micrometer reading change, you will need to use the formula: ΔL = (λ * N)/2. In this formula, ΔL represents the change in micrometer reading, λ is the wavelength in nanometers, and N is the number of fringes. Simply plug in the values for λ and N and solve for ΔL.

2. Why is it important to calculate the micrometer reading change for 50 fringes at a specific wavelength?

Calculating the micrometer reading change for a specific number of fringes and wavelength is important because it allows for accurate measurements and ensures consistency in experimental results. It also helps to determine the precision and accuracy of the instrument being used.

3. Can I use a different number of fringes to calculate the micrometer reading change?

Yes, you can use any number of fringes to calculate the micrometer reading change, but it is recommended to use a larger number of fringes for more accurate results. 50 fringes is a commonly used number as it provides a good balance between accuracy and ease of measurement.

4. How does the wavelength affect the micrometer reading change?

The wavelength does affect the micrometer reading change. The change in micrometer reading is directly proportional to the wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the micrometer reading change will also increase.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the micrometer reading change?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the micrometer reading change, such as the accuracy of the instrument, the number of fringes being measured, and any external disturbances. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to ensure accurate results.