Finding Displacement with Constant Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves calculating the displacement of a rocket during a 29.4-second interval with given initial and final velocities. The formula used is d=1/2(v1+v2)t and the correct answer is 10500m [fwd]. The initial calculation was incorrect due to a calculator mistake.
MemoIhad
Hi there, I'm having a problem with this question, it seems like I'm doing everything perfect but still getting the wrong answer:

Homework Statement

During a 29.4-s interval, the velocity of a rocket changes from 204m/s [fwd] to 508m/s [fwd]. Assuming constant acceleration, determine the displacement of the rocket during this time interval.

Homework Equations

d=1/2(v1+v2)t

The Attempt at a Solution

t=29.4s
v2=508m/s [fwd]
v1=204m/s [fwd]
d=?

d=1/2(204+508)x29.4
=4,468.8m

This answer is wrong, the correct answer (based on the book) is 10500m [fwd]

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
When I evaluate d=1/2(204+508)x29.4, I get 10500. (actually, 10466.4; rounded to 3 significant digits, it agrees) Your problem is apparently a calculator mistake - either hit a wrong button or you aren't typing it in correctly.

Ya, I just re-did it, I got the correct answer, which is weird, because I re-tryed it 3 times and still got 4,468.8m, but suddenly I get 10500! I hate mistakes like this, it drives me crazy for no reason. THANKS for the quick reply! I can now stop being frustrated.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement takes into account the object's starting and ending position.

What are some units used to measure displacement?

Displacement is often measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km), but can also be measured in other units such as feet (ft) or miles (mi).

Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if an object's ending position is in the opposite direction of its starting position.

How is displacement represented graphically?

Displacement is often represented by a vector arrow on a graph, with the direction of the arrow indicating the object's movement and the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the displacement.