Unraveling 1999 Putnam A3: Understanding the Recurrence Relation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the recurrence relation in the first solution to problem 1999 A3. The participants suggest multiplying and collecting like terms, but there is still one term on the other side that needs to be addressed. They eventually realize that in order for two power series to be equal, the coefficients of all powers of x greater than 0 must be 0 and the coefficient of x^0 must be 1.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

In the first solution to 1999 A3 at the this website:
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/1999s.pdf

You do not need to read the problem.

I do not see hot they go the recurrence relation in the first sentence. Specifically I do not follow reason why their first expression "yields the recurrence..."?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try multiplying it out and collecting like terms?

Yes. But you still have that one on the other side. I do not know what to do with that.

I'm not sure what you mean. You have an equation; the two sides are equal.

I am saying the 1 is outside of the summation. I need to have everything in a summation before I can get the desired result, don't I?

Both sides of the equation are power series. What has to be true for two power series to be equal?

I see. The coefficients of all powers of x greater than 0 must b 0 and the coefficient of x^0 must be 1.

1. What is the Putnam A3 Problem?

The Putnam A3 problem is a mathematical problem that was featured in the 1999 William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition. It involves understanding and solving a recurrence relation, which is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers by relating each term to one or more of the previous terms.

2. Why is the Putnam A3 Problem important?

The Putnam A3 problem is important because it challenges students to think critically and creatively to solve a complex mathematical problem. It also requires knowledge and application of various mathematical concepts, making it a good test of mathematical ability.

3. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers by relating each term to one or more of the previous terms. It is often used to model real-world situations, such as population growth or financial investments.

4. How can the recurrence relation in the Putnam A3 Problem be solved?

The recurrence relation in the Putnam A3 Problem can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, iteration, and generating functions. It may also require knowledge of other mathematical concepts, such as combinatorics and algebraic manipulation.

5. What skills are needed to successfully solve the Putnam A3 Problem?

To successfully solve the Putnam A3 Problem, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, including knowledge of calculus, algebra, and combinatorics. It also requires critical thinking skills, creativity, and perseverance in problem-solving.