V-I Color Index and Astronomical Catalog

• Thread starter GleefulNihilism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Index
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of 0.0 in the V-I color index, with one person suggesting it could be Vega but unsure. The other person is looking for raw data on V-I color index values for spiral galaxies and suggests searching for papers by Mike Bessell or Cousins. They also express gratitude for finding a lost link.
GleefulNihilism
Well, this is awkward.

I seem to have forgotten what star has a 0.0 value in the V-I color index. I almost want to say Vega but that's the 0.0 in the B-V color index.

I also seem unable to find raw data for the V-I color index values for spiral galaxies and was wondering if someone would be willing to assist.

If you have any questions, feel free to post. I also wanted to start a conversation in posting.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think your best bet would be to search for papers by Mike Bessell on http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html" abstract server. He was a pioneer in standardising photometric systems. Failing that, try looking for papers by Cousins from the late 70/early 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would totally kid you for giving a responce that didn't lend itself to discussion, but I lost this link months ago and had been looking for it.

I wish I could give high fives/respect knuckles over the internet.

Last edited:

1. What is V-I color index and how is it used in astronomy?

The V-I color index is a measure of the difference in brightness between a star's visible (V) and infrared (I) light. This index is used in astronomy to determine the surface temperature of stars, as well as their age and chemical composition.

2. How is the V-I color index calculated?

The V-I color index is calculated by subtracting the magnitude of a star's infrared light (I) from the magnitude of its visible light (V). The resulting value is then compared to a standard color index for stars, which allows astronomers to determine the star's properties.

3. What is an astronomical catalog and how is it related to the V-I color index?

An astronomical catalog is a database of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and nebulae. The V-I color index is often included in these catalogs as a way to classify and study different types of stars and their characteristics.

4. Can the V-I color index be used for all types of stars?

Yes, the V-I color index can be used for all types of stars, including main sequence stars, red giants, and white dwarfs. It is a useful tool for understanding the properties of stars at different stages of their evolution.

5. How has the use of V-I color index evolved over time in astronomy?

The V-I color index was first introduced in the 1960s and has since become an important tool in modern astronomy. With the advancements in technology, the V-I color index is now used in conjunction with other techniques, such as spectroscopy, to gain a better understanding of the properties of stars and other celestial objects.