How Do You Calculate the Focal Length of a Planar Convex Lens?

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the distance of the focal point (focal length) from the curved surface of a thin planar convex glass lens, with a curvature radius of 50cm, using the formula \frac{1}{f} = (\frac{n}{n_M} - 1) (\frac{1}{r_1} + \frac{1}{r_2}), where n is 1,491, n_M is 1, and r_2 is infinitely big. It is important to note that this formula is only valid for paraxial rays, which are close to the axis. When using the formula, correct sign conventions for r_1, r_2, and f
Icheb
Light is falling on the planar side of a thin planar convex glass lens. The curvature radius |r| is 50cm. I have to calculate the distance of the focal point to the curved surface of the lens, which to my understanding is the focal length, since it's a thin lens. Additionally I am supposed to only look at rays that are close to the axis, and I'm not sure what exactly that means.

From my understanding the only equation I need is [tex]\frac{1}{f} = (\frac{n}{n_M} - 1) (\frac{1}{r_1} + \frac{1}{r_2})[/tex]. n would be 1,491, n_M would be 1, r_1 would be 50cm and r_2 would be infinitely big (since the lens is planar convex).

Would that be sufficient to solve it? If so, what does it mean that I'm only supposed to look at rays that are close to the axis? What does that change?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you study the derivation of the formula for ##\frac{1}{f}##, you'll see that the derivation assumes that the rays are close to the axis ("paraxial rays"). So, the formula is generally valid only for paraxial rays.

When using the formula, you need to be sure to use the sign conventions for ##r_1##, ##r_2##, and ##f## that are associated with the formula.

1. What is focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the lens and the image sensor or film when the subject is in focus. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and determines the field of view and magnification of the resulting image.

2. How is focal length calculated?

Focal length can be calculated by dividing the distance from the lens to the image sensor or film by the distance from the lens to the subject when it is in focus. This is known as the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length, di is the distance from the lens to the image sensor or film, and do is the distance from the lens to the subject.

3. What is the relationship between focal length and magnification?

The focal length of a lens directly affects the magnification of the resulting image. A longer focal length will result in a larger magnification, while a shorter focal length will result in a smaller magnification. This means that a longer focal length lens will make the subject appear closer and larger in the resulting image.

4. Can focal length be changed?

Yes, focal length can be changed by adjusting the zoom or focus on the lens. Some lenses also have interchangeable focal length options, allowing for a wider range of focal lengths to be used.

5. How does focal length affect depth of field?

Focal length plays a significant role in determining the depth of field in an image. A longer focal length will result in a shallower depth of field, while a shorter focal length will result in a deeper depth of field. This means that a longer focal length lens will produce a more blurred background and a shorter focal length lens will produce a sharper background.