Life of batteries (Probability)

In summary, the lifetime of batteries are independent random variables Xi, i= 1,2,... each having exponential distribution given by the density f(x) = 2e^-2x, x>0, 0 elsewhere. If a flashlight needs two batteries to work, then the time that the flashlight can operate is a random variable Y=min(X1,X2), with a PDF of 4e^-4y.
ja404

Homework Statement

The lifetime of batteries are independent random variables Xi, i= 1,2,... each having exponential distribution given by the density f(x) = 2e^-2x, x>0, 0 elsewhere.
If a flashlight needs two batteries to work, then the time that the flashlight can operate is a random variable Y=min(X1,X2). Find the CDF and PDF of Y

Homework Equations

Xi, i= 1,2,...
Xi ~ f(x) = 2e^-2x, x>0, 0 elsewhere
Y=min(X1,X2)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm not sure about is the initial approach to this problem. I'm not sure if I should treat it as an order statistics problem in which case i'd be trying to use the equation:

g(y) = n((1-Fx(y))^(n-1))f(y)

though I'm not sure if Fx(y) and f(y) are just the respective cdf and pdf of X.
I know if i have the pdf, I can get the cdf easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a Dirac delta function is? Given a PDF f(x1,x2) for two variables x1 and x2, the PDF g(y) for any function y=h(x1,x2) of these is given by
[tex]g(y) = \int dx_1\,dx_2\,f(x_1,x_2)\delta(y-h(x_1,x_2))[/tex]
where [itex]\delta(y)[/itex] is the Dirac delta function, and where x1 and x2 are integrated over their complete ranges (whatever they are).

Thanks for the help. I don't recall covering the dirac delta at all but I'm trying to use it and we'll see how it works. I was thinking there might be a transform involved as well? Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I was able to use this method to solve the problem, but it's tricky. There's probably (no pun intended) a method that avoids it; maybe someone else can help.

Since Y is min(X1, X2), and if Prob{Xi < x) = F(x), what is the probability Prob{min(X1,X2) < y), in terms of the F function?

I just can't figure out how to deal with that "min". I know that if say Y=X1^2 then I would just follow:

cdf = Fy(y) = P(Y<y) = P(X^2<y) = P(X<Y^1/2) etc, but I don't know how to represent that 'minimum' when I'm trying to solve the inequality for X.

Thanks again.

If the minimum of X1 and X2 is less than y, then it cannot be the case that "both X1 > y and X2 > y."

Would it correct to say then P(Y1>y) = P(X1>Y)*P(X2>Y) ?
Thanks.

Exactly, or P(Y<y) = 1 - (1-P(X1<Y))*(1-P(X2<Y)).

Ok, I'm coming up with a pdf of:

(4e^-2y)*(1+e^-2y)

OR

(4e^-2y)+(4e^-4y)

Thoughts?

Not what I got. And I got the same answer with my fancy delta-function method and EmulaFish's simpler method.

Can you show your work?

well after talking to my professor, he said I should be using the order statistic technique

pdf of Y=min(X1,X2...Xn) = g(y) = n*[(1-Fx(y))^n-1]*fx(y)

where n=2 for this case
Fx(y) is cdf of X evaluated at y = -e^-2y
fx(y) is pdf of X evaluated at y = 2e^-2y

I put those into g(y) and that's how I came up with that.
Thanks again.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

I figured out one thing I've been doing wrong. My new answer for pdf of Y=min(X1,X2) is

4e^-4y

I'm pretty confident about that one.

That's what I got!

1. How long do batteries typically last?

The lifespan of a battery depends on several factors, including the type of battery, its capacity, and how it is used. On average, disposable alkaline batteries can last anywhere from 2 to 7 years, while rechargeable batteries can last for hundreds of charge cycles.

2. What is the probability of a battery failing before its estimated lifespan?

The probability of a battery failing before its estimated lifespan can vary greatly depending on the quality of the battery and how it is used. However, in general, the probability is low for reputable brands and when the battery is used as directed.

3. Can a battery's lifespan be extended?

Yes, a battery's lifespan can be extended through proper care and usage. This includes storing batteries in a cool and dry place, not overcharging rechargeable batteries, and using the correct charger for the battery type. Additionally, using energy-efficient devices can also help extend a battery's lifespan.

4. How does temperature affect the lifespan of a battery?

Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can negatively impact a battery's lifespan. High temperatures can cause batteries to discharge faster, while low temperatures can prevent batteries from holding a charge. It is best to store and use batteries at room temperature for optimal performance.

5. Is it safe to dispose of batteries in the trash?

No, it is not safe to dispose of batteries in the trash. Batteries contain toxic chemicals that can harm the environment if not disposed of properly. It is best to recycle batteries at designated recycling centers or through battery recycling programs offered by many retailers.