Solving N-S Eq: Fourier Space, Pressure, Interpretation

In summary, the Fourier Transform of the Naiver-Stokes equation includes a term for the pressure, but in the transformation there is no pressure included. The second term on the left hand side represents acceleration, with the first term representing unsteady flow and the second term representing fluid particle movement in the velocity field. The small 'p' in the equation represents momentum.
dakold
As show below the Fourier Transform of Naiver-Stokes equation. I wonder if the pressure should be in the Fourier transform? In the below transformation there is no pressure.

N-S
[tex]\frac{\partial\vec{u}}{\partial t}\+(\vec{u}\bullet\nabla)\vec{u}=-\frac{\nabla P}{\rho}+\nu\nabla^{2}[/tex]

N-S in Fourier space [tex]\frac{\partial u_{\alpha}}{\partial t}=-i\int(k_{\beta}-p_{\beta}u_{\beta}(\vec{p})u_{\alpha}(\vec{k}-\vec{p})d^{3}p+i\frac{k_{\alpha}}{k^{2}}\int(p_{\gamma}(k_{\beta}-p_{\beta})u_{\beta}(\vec{p})u_{\gamma}(\vec{k}-\vec{p})
d^{3}p-\nu k^{2} u_{\alpha}(\vec{k})[/tex]

I got another question also, how can one interpretate the second term on the left hand side?
[tex](\vec{u}\bullet\nabla)\vec{u}[/tex]
Is this acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about the pressure terms in Fourier space. What do the 'p' terms represent if they do not represent pressures?

The [tex](\vec{u}\bullet\nabla)\vec{u}[/tex] term does indeed represent an acceleration. Both terms on the left hand side of the N-S equations represent acceleration.

The first term represents accelerations arising if the flow is unsteady, and the second term represents the acceleration of a fluid particle arising from its movement in the velocity field.

the small 'p' is the momentum.
Thanks that what I thought

1. What is the N-S equation?

The Navier-Stokes (N-S) equation is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of fluid substances, such as liquids and gases. It takes into account factors such as pressure, velocity, and viscosity to predict the behavior of a fluid.

2. What is Fourier space?

Fourier space is a mathematical representation of a function which shows how different frequencies contribute to the overall function. In the context of solving N-S equations, Fourier space is used to transform the equations from their original form in physical space to a simplified form in frequency space.

3. How does pressure affect the N-S equation?

Pressure is an important factor in the N-S equation as it represents the force exerted by the fluid on its surroundings. In the equation, pressure affects the velocity and acceleration terms, and thus plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the fluid.

4. What is the interpretation of solving N-S equations in Fourier space?

Solving N-S equations in Fourier space allows for a more simplified and efficient solution compared to solving them in physical space. In Fourier space, the equations become linear and can be solved using techniques such as Fourier transforms and spectral methods.

5. How is viscosity incorporated into the N-S equation?

Viscosity, or the resistance of a fluid to flow, is included in the N-S equation through the viscous stress tensor term. This term accounts for the friction and diffusion effects of the fluid, and its value is dependent on the viscosity of the fluid and the rate of deformation.