Calculating the Net Downward Force on a Cylindrical Water Tank on Mars

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the net downward force on the bottom of a cylindrical water tank on Mars, given the gravitational acceleration, pressure at the surface of the water, and pressure of the air outside the tank. The initial solution attempted was incorrect, and the correct approach involved finding the volume of water and calculating the mass, as well as considering the force of the air inside the tank. The final answer was not provided.
MissKaylaPaige

Homework Statement

I have a cylindrical water tank of mars, where acc. due to gravity= 3.71

The pressure at the surface of the water is 110 kPa, and the depth of the water is 14.5 m

The pressure of the air outside the tank is 91 kPa

Find the net downward force on the tanks flat bottom of area 2.4 m^2, exerted by the water and air inside the tank and the air outside the tank

Homework Equations

p= F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

alright, I found the downward force to be 3.93x10^5 N
upward force to be 2.18x10^5

I thought the sum of these forces would give me the net forces but I must've been mistaken because the answer was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the water pushing down, so you need to find the volume of water and figure out the mass(I guess you assume 1 mL= 1g) and mg(but not the normal g!)will be the downward force from the water alone

Also the air is pushing down on it, as is the outside air, both can be found using your equation

Don't forget if you use kPa and m^2 you get your answer in kN

I know the force from the outside air is 2.18x10^5 N, and the force of the water inside is 3.93x10^5 N, so if I find the force of the air inside the tank as well, the sum of them will give me what I'm looking for?

1. How would a water tank on Mars be filled?

A water tank on Mars can be filled with water brought from Earth or with water harvested from the Martian atmosphere through a process called atmospheric condensation. This involves cooling the air to dew point temperature, causing the water vapor to condense and collect in the tank.

2. What would the purpose of a water tank on Mars be?

A water tank on Mars would serve as a vital resource for human settlement and exploration. It would provide a stable and reliable source of water for drinking, growing plants, and producing rocket fuel for future missions.

3. How much water could a tank on Mars hold?

The size of a water tank on Mars would depend on the purpose and resources available. However, it is estimated that a 100 cubic meter tank could hold enough water to sustain a small crew for a year.

4. What challenges would be faced in building and maintaining a water tank on Mars?

The main challenges in building and maintaining a water tank on Mars would be the extreme Martian environment, including low atmospheric pressure, extreme temperatures, and high levels of radiation. Special materials and technology would need to be used to ensure the tank is durable and can withstand these conditions.

5. Could a water tank on Mars be used for other purposes?

Yes, a water tank on Mars could potentially be used for other purposes such as generating electricity through hydroelectric power, providing radiation shielding for a human habitat, or storing and cooling equipment for scientific experiments.