Help w/ determing the speed of light in marshmallow experiment

In summary, to find the calculated value for the speed of light (m/sec), the conversation participants discussed using the distances and corresponding wavelengths (2x the distances) of marshmallows that were nuked and measured for hot spots, along with the microwave frequency (2,450 MHz). They also mentioned finding the percentage of error for each trial. The experiment was inspired by Rober Stauffer, Jr.'s "Finding the speed of light with marshmallows" article in The Physics Teacher. To calculate the percentage error, the accepted value of the wavelength must be known, which can be found using the accepted value of the speed of light and the given frequency. It is important to understand the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and wave
lavendermoon

Homework Statement

need to know calculated value for the speed of light (m/sec) the following is what I have been able to do, if I can have a few examples of how to solve for the above and the percentage of error I will be set.

Homework Equations

distance 10 cm, 12cm, 9 cm
wavelength 20cm, 24cm, 18cm
frequency 2,450 MHz

Please show me how to get the value for the speed of light and the percentage error for each of these these are my results for the first trial I have two more trials but will be able to do them If I can get help with these, Thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
lavendermoon said:

Homework Equations

distance 10 cm, 12cm, 9 cm
wavelength 20cm, 24cm, 18cm
frequency 2,450 MHz

What do these quantities mean? What is a "marshmallow" experiment?

Tom Mattson said:
What do these quantities mean? What is a "marshmallow" experiment?

I had to nuke some marshmallows and measure the distances between the hot spots. then use the distances with the corrosponding wavelength (2x the distances), and the microwave frequency (2,450 MHz) to find the speed of light (m/sec) and then find the percentage of error. The experiment comes from Rober Stauffer, Jr. "Finding the speed of light with marshmallows" The Physics Teacher, vol 35, April 1997

lavendermoon said:
I had to nuke some marshmallows and measure the distances between the hot spots.

That makes much more sense now!

then use the distances with the corrosponding wavelength (2x the distances), and the microwave frequency (2,450 MHz) to find the speed of light (m/sec) and then find the percentage of error.

For percent error, see the following page.

http://www.ric.edu/faculty/bgilbert/s3pcerr.htm

Notice it makes reference to "accepted value". To compute the accepted value of the wavelength, use the accepted value of the speed of light, together with the frequency you were given. Note that you must know how wavelength, frequency, and wave speed are related in order to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I will give this a try, thank you very much

Tom Mattson said:
That makes much more sense now!

For percent error, see the following page.

http://www.ric.edu/faculty/bgilbert/s3pcerr.htm

Notice it makes reference to "accepted value". To compute the accepted value of the wavelength, use the accepted value of the speed of light, together with the frequency you were given. Note that you must know how wavelength, frequency, and wave speed are related in order to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of the marshmallow experiment in determining the speed of light?

The purpose of the marshmallow experiment is to provide a fun and engaging way for students to understand the concept of the speed of light and how it can be measured through simple experiments.

What materials are needed for the marshmallow experiment?

The materials needed for the marshmallow experiment include a microwave, a bag of marshmallows, a ruler, and a calculator.

How do I perform the marshmallow experiment to determine the speed of light?

To perform the marshmallow experiment, you will need to place a marshmallow in the microwave and measure the distance between the microwave and the marshmallow. Then, using the formula for the speed of light, you can calculate the speed based on the time it takes for the marshmallow to expand.

What is the formula used to calculate the speed of light in the marshmallow experiment?

The formula used to calculate the speed of light in the marshmallow experiment is speed of light = distance traveled / time taken. In this case, the distance traveled is the distance between the microwave and the marshmallow, and the time taken is the time it takes for the marshmallow to expand.

What factors may affect the accuracy of the speed of light measurement in the marshmallow experiment?

There are several factors that may affect the accuracy of the speed of light measurement in the marshmallow experiment, such as the power of the microwave, the size and type of marshmallow used, and any external factors that may impact the expansion of the marshmallow. It is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to reduce the impact of these factors on the final measurement.