Where Can I Find the Right Specs for a Battery Pack for Laser Tag Vests?

In summary: That's one option.Another option is to find a pack that is similar to the one you're duplicating, but with more cells. There are lots of options online and at hobby stores.In summary, this person is trying to build their own laser tag pack and is asking for advice on what parts to replace. It is likely that they are looking for a thermistor to monitor the battery temperature while charging.
ztekneq
I work at a local entertainment venue and wanted to experiment by building my own pack for current laser tag vests. The manuf charge us a FORTUNE!

So the specs are 6 NiMh 3800mah 1.2V 4/3 Panasonic 370a's wired in a block series

there is a small resistor (i think) on the lead but I cannot make out what its specs are..this is where i need some help. What do you guys think it might be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's unlikely to be a resistor that would just waste heat, it's more likely to be a fuse which is a good idea if you are strapping the batteries to your body.

Last edited:
k

quite possible... looked like it might have had bands like a resistor though...

its not on the lead to the connector so to say.. there is a wire (small) soldered to the first positive cap in the series drops down next to the battery and is then connected to the middle lead of the three lead series

http://www.tekneq-design.com/battery.jpg [Broken]

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:
In that case it's probably a thermistor to monitor temperature of the battery while charging.
A common way to charge NiCd/NiMH is to turn up the charging current until it starts to get hot and then back off a little.
If you aren't worrried about charging speed it is better/safer to just charge for 10-12 hours at 10% of the battery capacity.

is there any specifications that one would need to replace such a part?

You would need to know it's cold resistance which you can measure with a meter, you could estimate the temperature coefficent by putting in warm water and then measuring it's resistance again.
But like I said, it's easier/safer to just trickle charge the batteries, quick charging home made battery packs is a bit dangerous to the battery and you!

It is exactly a thermistor! I am actually duplicating an existing pack. What would be the downfalls of hooking in the wrong thermistor? I have an existing intelligent charger that is being used as well. Is there anyway to estimate what thermistor should be used?

You might want to try some electonic supply houses.
For instance, Radio Shack sell a 6 cell nicad pack for RC cars with charger for about $20.
They also sell connector adaptors.

1. What is a battery pack and how does it work?

A battery pack is a collection of individual batteries that are connected together to provide a higher overall voltage and capacity. It works by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through a series of chemical reactions.

2. How do I choose the right battery pack for my device?

The right battery pack for your device depends on several factors such as voltage, capacity, and size. You should consult the user manual or do research online to determine the specific battery requirements for your device and choose a battery pack that meets those specifications.

3. What is the difference between rechargeable and non-rechargeable battery packs?

Rechargeable battery packs can be recharged and used multiple times, while non-rechargeable battery packs can only be used until they run out of power and then need to be replaced. Rechargeable battery packs are more cost-effective and eco-friendly in the long run, but non-rechargeable battery packs may be more convenient for certain devices.

4. How do I properly maintain and store my battery pack?

To maintain your battery pack, keep it clean and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures. It is also important to use the correct charger and avoid overcharging. To store your battery pack, make sure it is at about 50% charge and store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

5. Can I use any charger with my battery pack?

No, it is important to use the correct charger for your battery pack. Using the wrong charger can cause damage to the battery pack and potentially be a safety hazard. Always use the charger that is specifically designed for your battery pack.