Solving Physics Homework: Velocity & Time of Rock in a Hole

In summary, the rock has a velocity of 18m/s when it is tossed up, and falls into a hole at a speed of 9.81 m/s. It is in the air for 2 seconds, and then hits the bottom of the hole at a velocity of -12m/s.
swiftracer

Homework Statement

a rock is tossed straight up with a speed of 18m/s. when it returns, it fallls into a hole of 12 m deep. a) what is the velocity of the rock as it hit the bottom of the hole? b)how long is the rock in the air, from the instant it is released until it hit the bottom of the hole?

Homework Equations

a)v^2 = u^2 – 2as
b) displacement = final - initial

The Attempt at a Solution

a) and i got 12.8 and i know is wrong
b) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you attempted so far?

solved it yet?

First, know what you are looking for. In this case, it is final velocity. If you know you kinematic equations, you should see that the related equations are:

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2gΔy and
[itex]Δt[/itex] = (Vf - Vi)/g
So,

Vf2 = (18 m/s)2 + 2(9.81 m/s2)(12 m).

Then, take the square root and you should get your final velocity. Note, however, that it should be negative as the rock is moving toward the Earth, and that is in the negative direction.

As for the second part of the question:

[itex]Δt[/itex] = (Vf - Vi)/g

and that should give you the time of rock in air before it hits the bottom of the hole.
Correct me if I am wrong though, for I, myself, am unsure about this problem.

Last edited:
swiftracer said:

Homework Statement

a rock is tossed straight up with a speed of 18m/s. when it returns, it fallls into a hole of 12 m deep. a) what is the velocity of the rock as it hit the bottom of the hole? b)how long is the rock in the air, from the instant it is released until it hit the bottom of the hole?

Homework Equations

a)v^2 = u^2 – 2as
b) displacement = final - initial

The Attempt at a Solution

a) and i got 12.8 and i know is wrong
b) ?

I note you listed v2 = u2 -2as as one of your formulas.

I don't necessarily agree with the "-" sign, I would prefer v2 = u2 +2as, with the last term becoming negative is a or s , but not both, were negative.
Any way: That formula is part of the set

v = u + at
v2 = u2 +2as
s = ut + 0.5.at2
s = vt - 0.5.at2
s = 0.5(u + v)t

That set involves the variables v, u, a, s, t with one of them missing from each equation in turn.

For this problem, you just write down the variables you know, add on the one you want to find out, then use the formula involving those variables.

For this rock: let up be positive:

(a) u = 18, a = -9.8, s = -12 and we want v

we need the second formula, which involves v, u, a & s

v2 = 182 + 2 x -9.8 x -12

Solve that and you will have your answer:

(b) u = 18, a = -9.8, s = -12 and we want t

That means use the 3rd formula

-12 = 18t - 4.9t2

Unfortunately a quadratic equation to solve; but if you are confident of your answer to part (a), you could add that v value into the mix and use one of the equations not involving quadratics, like the first one.

This thread is 3 years old...

1. What is the formula for velocity?

The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. How do I calculate the time of a rock in a hole?

To calculate the time of a rock in a hole, you will need to know the initial velocity of the rock, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the hole. You can then use the formula t = √(2h/g) to calculate the time, where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can I use different units for velocity and time?

Yes, you can use different units for velocity and time as long as they are consistent. For example, if your velocity is in meters per second, your time should be in seconds.

4. How do I convert units in velocity and time calculations?

To convert units in velocity and time calculations, you can use conversion factors or unit ratios. For example, to convert meters per second to kilometers per hour, you can multiply the value by 3.6.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving velocity and time problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving velocity and time problems include using incorrect units, not considering the direction of the velocity, and not considering the effects of air resistance or other external factors. It is also important to double-check your calculations and use the correct formula for the specific problem.