Every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]

• Thread starter jimmypoopins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Associate
In summary, we need to prove that every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]. To do this, we can start by considering the units in F[x], which are the nonzero elements in F. Then, we can take any nonzero u in F and look at the product uf(x), which must be monic. From this, we can conclude that uan=1, which allows us to prove the uniqueness of the monic associate of f(x).
jimmypoopins

Homework Statement

F a field.

Prove that every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x].

2. The attempt at a solution

Since F is a field, there exists a unit u in F and a function f(x) in F[x] such that g(x)=uf(x) with g(x) in F[x] a monic associate of f(x).

----
I'm having issues figuring out how to explain that it's unique. I haven't done a proof like that before and I only have the proofs in class to go about doing that.

I want to say something that then there also exists a unit u' in F such that g(x)=u'f(x) but am i allowed to then say u'f(x)=uf(x) and cancel the f's?

i just need a little push in the right direction. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose deg(f)=n and write f(x) = a0 + a1x + ... + anxn. As I'm presuming you already know, the units in F[x] are precisely the nonzero elements in F. (If you don't know this, prove it! This is basically the essence of the problem.) So take any nonzero u in F and look at uf(x); if this is monic, then uan=1. What can we conclude now?

1. What is F[x] in the statement "Every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]"?

F[x] refers to the set of polynomials with coefficients in the field F. This means that the coefficients of the polynomials can only come from the elements in the field F.

2. What does "nonzero" mean in the statement "Every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]"?

In this context, "nonzero" means that the polynomial f(x) has at least one nonzero coefficient. This is important because the statement does not apply to the zero polynomial, which has all coefficients equal to zero.

3. What is a "monic associate" in the statement "Every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]"?

A monic associate of a polynomial is a polynomial that has the same degree and leading coefficient as the original polynomial, but with a leading coefficient of 1. In other words, it is a polynomial that is equivalent to the original polynomial, but "shifted" by a factor of the leading coefficient.

4. Why is it important that every nonzero f(x) in F[x] has a unique monic associate in F[x]?

Having a unique monic associate for every nonzero polynomial in F[x] ensures that the set of polynomials in F[x] satisfies the division algorithm. This means that any two polynomials in F[x] can be divided with a remainder, similar to how numbers can be divided with a remainder.

5. How does this statement relate to the fundamental theorem of algebra?

This statement is a consequence of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial of degree n in the complex numbers has exactly n complex roots. Since every polynomial in F[x] can be factored into linear factors, it follows that every nonzero polynomial in F[x] has a unique monic associate, as stated in the original statement.